The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sickly Anthuriums

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by plantlady19 on September 12, 2005 09:34 PM
I bought two anthuriums a couple months ago and they were just beautiful for at least a month. However, the have been on a slow but steady decline for a three weeks now. The "blossoms" have all faded and turned brown, no new are present and very few new leave are sprouting. Both plants are in bright indirect light and get appropriate amounts of water. Could it be a fertilizer issue or is this sad stage just part of their reproductive cycle? Any help is appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by joclyn on September 14, 2005 09:56 AM
how often are you watering them? they need to be kept at a constant water level. also, they may be getting too much sun - indirect light is good...it doesn't need to be too bright tho.

you might want to check to see if they need to be put in a larger pot - if there are roots coming out of the drain holes, it's time to repot.
by Jiffymouse on September 14, 2005 11:10 AM
and remember, they "cycle" like all living things... need a break sometimes!
by connie mounsey on September 14, 2005 07:03 PM
I always cut off the blossoms when they start to fade. I think if you don't cut them off then your plant won't produce new ones.

Without faith life has no meaning.
by plantlady19 on September 22, 2005 11:32 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! I really appreciate it. I think it may be the watering. I'm a bit sporadic in that area thanks to my CRAZY [perplexed] schedule. I'll try and get my tush in gear and make sure they are watered properly. Thanks again. [thumb]

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by BrysonK on September 23, 2005 03:48 AM
Anthuriums actually dont need a lot of water, so letting them dry out between waterings can't be hurting that much. Sounds like it has the right amount of sun...

When i was moving a few months ago, my anthurium was accidently misplaced and left behind, and turned sickly like you described. When i brought it back, i stuck it with my other full sun tropical plants infront of my non-shaded south window... it got even worse [Frown] I then moved it to a shaded bright light area of the house, and its begining to pick up a little again.
by plantlady19 on September 23, 2005 11:02 PM
Well, they definately aren't in full sun, but they are perhaps getting more light than they would like. I'll shift them around and see if there is any change.

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by njoynit on October 21, 2005 10:42 PM
I grow mine in the ground in my shade bed(*rita rescaped it as a partial shade bed),my red one blooms almost constant& my pink one has issues,but know he'll perk up in his pot next month.I cold GH them in our winter.they get the humidity naturally year round.I water my beds daily durring the hot summer then less when in 80s unless its windy.I'm not sure I even water them in winter.maybe once a month. my red is still in its mostly shade spot.it gets a spot of AM sun for almost 2 hours.Pink will have to move next year.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: