The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

aquired overgrown neglected yard and gardens

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Aquatic plants (again)| Next thread: Arabian Jasmine »
Back to Thread index
by Mrs.Spud on April 24, 2006 03:45 PM
Is there a guide for moving into a home that has had beautiful gardens, trees, and shrubs in the past...but has not been taken care of properly in several years?

especially in the spring time? Nothing was pruned last year.

Mrs.Spud: Idaho Mom
by Jiffymouse on April 24, 2006 03:57 PM
i personally would just watch this yearr, draw a diagram of where/what everything is, and handle it as appropriate as the year progresses. does that make sense? you know, like for azaleas, they should be pruned here in the south in the next month or so. not later than late june. (when the last bloom drops). for bulbs, when they come up, are they over crowded? dig them up in fall to divide and replant in the spring. and so on. i hope this helps, that is how i've always handled gardens that get neglected.
by joclyn on April 24, 2006 06:26 PM
yup, just watch everything and do basic maintenance as the season progresses.

making a diagram of what is where will be helpful. especially if you end up with bulbs that need separating - you can use the diagram to relocate the duplicates.

if you can't identify something, post a pic of it in the mystery section - it's a rare item that can't be identified by someone here!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Aquatic plants (again)| Next thread: Arabian Jasmine »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: