The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

my bulbs will not bloom

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My bromeliad| Next thread: My Butterfly bush? Too much water? »
Back to Thread index
by alrbeez on April 22, 2006 05:27 AM
I have many types of bulbs, daffidils, iris, crocus, hyaciths, daylilys, tiger lilies, and only the daylilies bloom. I have had them planted for 7 years and I have separated them. Still no results. All my trees bloom later that the next block over. I do not know what is wrong. Any advice would be great!!!
by comfrey on April 22, 2006 06:50 AM
What kind of soil do you have???? Have you had your soil tested? You can get it tested at the county extension center for free. Do you know if anything might have been dumped onto your land before you moved there and maybe buried. I am thinking it could be some sort of contaminate in the soil. How deep do you have your bulbs planted and do you fertilize them or do you use fertilizer on your yard, or live near a farm field that is sprayed or fertilized? Iris roots should be alittle above ground for them to bloom...if they are fully covered then they will not bloom.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 23, 2006 02:34 AM
the next question is how deep/shallow are you burying the bulbs? that has an effect on blooming also.
by alrbeez on April 23, 2006 02:35 AM
It was a horse field for years, and I did fertilize several years ago and put miracle grow on my plants. I just tested my soil this morning and the ph is a bit acidic, about a 6.0. what do I need to put on it to make it neutral. I am waiting on the water to settle in the jar to do the nitrogen, phosphates and "potash??" test. Thanks for the help, any advice would be great!
by alrbeez on April 23, 2006 03:03 AM
OK, the results are in: potash is medium, phosphates are HIGH!! Nitrogen is very low. What do i do, if anything? Thanks.
by peppereater on April 23, 2006 04:11 AM
The soil test is probably accurate, but you can't be sure with the home kits. And, as I understand, the nitrogen may be there and not show up if it's bound up in organic material...don't quote me on that.
If you're getting no blooms at all, especially with high phosphates, all I can think of is, are these in fairly shady spots?
Or heavy, clay soil?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by alrbeez on April 23, 2006 10:05 AM
Plenty of sun and the soil is a bit clay-like, but not bad.
by weezie13 on April 23, 2006 11:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by alrbeez:
All my trees bloom later that the next block over. I do not know what is wrong.
I have two Maple trees, side by side, and they come into bud faster and slower than the one next to it, the one by the garage is right on schedule with the street.. the one next to it, about 60 feet away, is still looking like a stick..
and it the fall, dyes back wayyyyyy slower than the other..
I think it's just tree genetic's with some..

But there are many, many factors that can be in effect...
Being by the base of a house or structure, sidewalks, pavements, being in towns or country sides...

quote:
Originally posted by alrbeez:
It was a horse field for years, and I did fertilize several years ago and put miracle grow on my plants.
When you wrote that part, my first reaction
was too much nitrogen...
Horse poopey is high nitro...
and Miracle Grow is also high nitrogen...

I'd check the depth of your bulbs...

I'd find out from you if you are cutting down the green growth after a certain time, and not letting them dye back naturally...

And find some kind of liquid fertilizer,
I like and use Schultz Plus 10~60~10..
The high middle number is for flowers/produce.
*I don't use alot, just a wee~bit, to get them going..*
But I love homemade compost on mine beds too...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by TomR on April 23, 2006 01:41 PM
Strange. A 6 PH should be fine. Feed them regularly (every 2-3 weeks) bulb food or miracle grow is fine, lots of sun is needed but you say they get that. Water well also if your in a dry spell.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by twwright on April 25, 2006 05:08 AM
My question to you is, exactly what of bulbs are we talking about here? Not all bulbs are treated the same way. Some are planted 2 inches deep and others 6 inches deep. If the soil is "a bit clay-ey" then I'd add some Miracle-Gro Garden Soil to loosen up the clay, not spagnum peat moss because it is acidic. I wonder where you're getting the bulbs from, a neighbor/friend or the nursery? Bulbs should be super easy to grow which I'm sure you're aware of or you wouldn't be so surprised. Overwatering may cause this also. I know that at my house we have tendency to duplicate each others' work so we have to check with each other to be sure not to overwater or over-fertilize. Good luck!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My bromeliad| Next thread: My Butterfly bush? Too much water? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: