The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mouse Nest in Plants????

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by isabella7 on December 10, 2004 06:39 PM
Hi Everyone!
Now this is very bizarre....I bought several plants from a local nursery & brought them home. A few days later I bought all the pots to transfer them into.
I repotted about 7 of them with no problems, but then when I carefully pulled the anthurim out of it's pot.....OUT CAME A MOUSE!!!! Then another one and another one.. FIVE IN TOTAL!! all scattered on my floor... UGHHH! I was horrified as mice are my biggest phobia! All the soil was gone. The family of five were living in a cozy nest of roots in my plant! Needless to say the plant was chucked outside! Has anyone ever experienced anything like this or even heard of it?? I went back to nursery & they have never heard of this happening before. They were very cooperative & gave me two more plants & repotted them for me.
I'm hoping this is a very rare situation because now I am paranoid about transplanting anything!!
Thanks,
Isabella
by Amy R. on December 10, 2004 06:44 PM
wow! that must of been a big anthurium to hold 5 mice. i have never heard of anything like that, ever. i'm lucky if i get some grotesque centipede or roly-poly bug, but then again, i like mice. i'm sorry you had such a scare, and i think it's great that the nursery was so cooperative. so where did the mice go?
by isabella7 on December 10, 2004 06:48 PM
Hi Amy,
I don't think you're going to like this (since you like mice) but fortunately for me my husband was home and he... uh ... well let's just say he caught them all & disposed them.
by Amy R. on December 10, 2004 07:29 PM
hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, right? i have an irrational fear of cockroaches(over the edge, really), which is really convenient as i live in tucson. and if i found a cucaracha in one of my plants(let alone 5), it might put me off gardening for life! [scaredy] so, no worries, i emphathize with you completely.
by Ann1 on December 11, 2004 06:21 AM
I usually check out my favorite photo site every day, Wunderphotos, and one of my favorites is of a mouse who had just nibbled off a zinnia and is holding onto the main stem with the flower head in his other paw. Don't go if you don't like mice, but I thought he was adorable. Just don't like anything, whether mouse, snake, or bug appearing out of nowhere when I'm not expecting it! [scaredy] [Razz] [Eek!]
Flower Power

It almost looks like it is faked, but here is a picture of him/her before successfully severing the flower part.
Mouse Nibbles

He's even cuter than Jerry of Tom and Jerry fame. Maybe similar to the Potter's Tailor of Glocester

Ann
by gardenmom32210 on December 11, 2004 06:50 AM
I simply ADORED the picture of the mouse holding the flower stalk [thumb] [Cool] [thumb]

G-Mom [grin]
by glam70s on December 16, 2004 01:16 AM
I've never had that happen but I used to work in a pet store and we had 5 people come in over 3 days with 7 total little green anole lizards that they found in plants from White Rose.. I guess whoever was shipping the plants from Florida wasn't looking very carefully, I can only imagine the number of them that went to other pet stores or were killed.

We set up a terrarium for them at the store and adopted them out free to good home [Smile] Apparently it's become a yearly thing..

Who would have thought it was possible to become addicted to plants?

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: