The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

"Hardening off" new plants, started indoors

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: "florist" azaleas| Next thread: "Holiday" Cacti »
Back to Thread index
by Patty S on April 20, 2006 03:30 AM
I have a Polka Dot plant, but thought it was a house plant until I read differently in another forum here! (Guess I'll have to look it up again.) I'd LOVE to have that out in the yard, & it IS getting a little sick-looking in here & losing some leaves... I'm wondering if it just wants to be out there in the full Sun. [dunno]

My question is:
Since this plant has been indoors since I bought it at a nursery (as a baby) about 5 weeks ago, do I need to harden it off before I plant it outdors?

Also:
When I start plants from seed, indoors, I know that they have to be hardened off. (Taken outside for a few days **in shade/NOT full Sun** & brought back in at night.) I can logic-out why they shouldn't be put right in the Sun after having been indoors... but I don't understand why, after having been set out in the shade for a few days, it wouldn't be a shock to them to suddenly get planted out in the Sun.  -

I've had a tray of plants that I've been putting outdoors every afternoon for 2 weeks now, but I'm really scared to plant them! [nutz] At the same time, I know that if I don't, they'll just get leggy & die... but these are my babies that I've watched & hovered over since they were seeds, 5 - 9 weeks ago! [perplexed] (Cosmos, Rattlebox, Wisteria & Clematis.)

I know that I need to "cut the apron strings"! [scaredy] HELP!!

(Temps here are ranging from mid 40's to mid 60's lately.)

-
 -
by Triss on April 20, 2006 03:44 AM
How are your night temps Patty? We froze two of the last 3 nights. That is what has me a little worried about moving my plants outside.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by peppereater on April 20, 2006 03:50 AM
(Temps here are ranging from mid 40's to mid 60's lately.)
Patty...you mean 40's to 60's for daytime highs?
Most things do better with temps in the 50's and above. Tomatos and things like that. Not sure about what you've got.
Hardening off requires setting out into a little more sun each day, or every few days. Hardening off also refers adjusting to night time temps, as well, where that applies. Plants should be left out overnight for a while before they're set out to adjust, after night time temps are mild.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Patty S on April 20, 2006 04:44 AM
quote:
you mean 40's to 60's for daytime highs?
No, by "mid 40's to mid 60's" I mean that the temp isn't falling below the mid 40's & not rising above the mid 60's.... anytime.

You're farther north than I am, Triss... we're not going to see frost again here, this Spring. (As weird as the weather patterns have been though, I'd rather not be quoted on that!) [nutz]
quote:
Plants should be left out overnight for a while before they're set out to adjust, after night time temps are mild.
Thanks Dave, but what are we calling "mild"? [dunno]

-
 -
by Triss on April 20, 2006 04:52 AM
Sounds like you are at mild Patty. I would have mine out at night if it were consistently that warm.

-
 -
by peppereater on April 20, 2006 09:28 PM
Patty...pardon my confusion. We were at 98 on Tuesday, 70 yesterday for highs. I'm not used to temps that onloy fluctuate 20 degrees from night to day, LOL. Go with Triss's advice.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Patty S on April 21, 2006 09:56 AM
quote:
I'm not used to temps that only fluctuate 20 degrees from night to day, LOL.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Lucky you, Dave!

(Will you still be harvesting Tomatoes & melons in October & November, like I'll be doing?) [grin]

-
 -
by Triss on April 21, 2006 12:34 PM
Patty, I put a few things outside in the shade yesterday. They are looking good so far.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: "florist" azaleas| Next thread: "Holiday" Cacti »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: