The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peace Lily Question -- Help before it's too late!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: peace lily question| Next thread: peace lily's »
Back to Thread index
by lizzi_20 on August 17, 2005 04:13 AM
About 6 months ago, I received a peace lily as a gift. The plant it absolutely beautiful, and has significantly grown. However, I have a few questions to ensure that I don't kill the plant (I'm a novice "gardner"). After reading several articles, I understand that peace lilies don't have to be watered often (ie: 2-3 weeks); however, once a week (Fridays) my plant goes completely droopy (it's a very dramatic plant), so I water it. I obviously am keeping it too moist because I've noticed white mold starting to grow on top of the soil. How often am I supposed to water it? Also, how do I get rid of the mold?
Thank you for your help!!!

Thank you!!!
Liz
by Cricket on August 17, 2005 11:43 PM
Hi Liz, [wayey]

Welcome to the forum! Althought peace lilies survive for quite a while in low light, they thrive in bright indirect light. Right in front of an unobstructed north or east facing window is best.

quote:
(it's a very dramatic plant),
Peace lilies are very dramatic about wilting when they are too dry! But by the time they wilt, the plant is desperate for water. Although they do recover within hours of a thorough watering, repeated wilting stresses the plant out. The trick is to water peace lilies thoroughly just before they wilt. In general, this is when the surface of the soil starts to feel barely dry. The size of pot, type of soil, air temperature and humidity all factor in how quickly a plant needs watering so it usually isn't the best idea to water according to the calendar, at least until you are very familiar with the requirements of your specific plant. Don't be afraid to stick your fingers in the soil! [teacher] It really is the most reliable way to tell when your plant needs water.

To flower, peace lilies need to be potbound, so unless your plant needs watering more frequently than every three days - and it sounds like yours doesn't - don't repot it.

Sorry I can't offer advice about the mold, except to scrape it off, but I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be around soon with more information.
by gconn77 on August 18, 2005 02:44 AM
The Peace Lily is a pain in the butt! Very high maintenance plant. I have one that is dying and I am trying to save. I guess the spider plants and cactus have spoiled me! LOL

-
by lizzi_20 on August 19, 2005 04:54 AM
Thank you for your help!!! I will make sure to water my plant a touch more often.

Thank you!!!
Liz
by coveymoore on August 24, 2005 05:07 AM
I have a peace lily that came in a vase with beta fish swimming around in the bottom about four years ago. The fish is long since gone, but the peace lily has beautiful foliage. I love the vase, but do I need to plant it in a planter for it to bloom again?
by Jiffymouse on August 25, 2005 12:42 AM
ok, here are some answers to your peace lily questions... these answers are all from my own experience, quite a bit of it is from the 14 year old peace lily on my kitchen counter that came from my mother's funeral.

first of all, cricket is right about the droop factor. and who ever told you that peace lilies don't need watering but every 2-3 weeks had one that was seriously over potted (a pot that was too large for the plant). i usually water mine about once a week.

second, it is misunderstood how much food a peace lily will need. mine is potting in a good quality (miracle grow) potting soil that has time release plant food already in it. now, since i only repot about every 6 - 12 months, i usually feed twice, once in mid spring and once in mid summer. that combined with the repottings, keeps mine healthy and blooming fairly regularly.

third, it is a misconception that a peace lily has to be root bound for it to bloom. what they do need is enough food & light, and to be settled in their pots. it is the last need that creates the illusion that root bound is necessary. a peace lily that has been in its current pot at least 3 months will bloom if the other factors are correct. it can take as long as 3 years for one to become truly root bound.

the garden helper has a very nice page on peace lily care if you click here
by Will Creed on August 25, 2005 04:42 AM
I suspect that the apparent difference between Cricket and JMouse over a peace lily needing to be potbound to bloom is mostly a difference as to what constitutes being potbound.

Other factors (good light, good soil nutrients, and genetics) are of primary importance. However, a tightly potted peace lily is more likely to flower than a peace lily that is in a very large pot relative to its root size.

If your peace lily does not obviously need repotting, then you are better off leaving it alone.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: peace lily question| Next thread: peace lily's »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: