The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help! Help! Help! My poor ferns!!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by plantlady19 on December 02, 2004 11:56 PM
I don't know what is happening! [Eek!] As some of you know I am the plant caretaker at my university's library. Recently, the library director purchased six enormous ferns and put them in the library (w/o consulting me, of course), but the poor dears are suffering. [tears] Despite appropriate watering and fertilization, leaves are falling like the Roman Empire, and whole fronds are dessicating right before my eyes!(Always around the bottom,too.) Please someone. Any advice would be wonderful. I know by green thumb didn't turn black over night. [dunno] Something is up.

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by Jiffymouse on December 04, 2004 02:36 AM
well, for starters, your poor ferns are probably suffering from lack of humidity. what i call "pebble trays" sound like they are in order. put the pot on some pebbles that are in a tray of water. water the tray every time you water the fern. just make sure the fern's pot is not sitting in the water, but rather over the water. the evaporation will help keep the ferns humid enough.

secondly, all ferns will "shed" the fronds they have when their conditions change. what you need to do is check to make sure you have new growth. if you do, then it is just a patience issue while it grows in fronds that are suitable to its new environment.

no, your green thumb didn't die overnight!!
by duckie on December 04, 2004 04:03 AM
I'll bet those ferns came from a nice humid greenhouse.The pebble trays are a very good solution.
My ferns are in hanging baskets.I mist them twice a week when they have to come inside.

Sorry,they make quite a mess when they shed their fronds.
Don't give up on them though.They are tough and will bounce back.

Good luck. [flower] [flower] [flower]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: