The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Boston Fern problems

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Boston Fern ?| Next thread: Boston fern trouble »
Back to Thread index
by mariah on November 24, 2004 05:32 PM
Brought my Boston Ferns in for the winter (Wisconsin) Have grow light on them, Mist daily, water every 3 days or as needed.

The top has a ton of new growth very perkie and happy.
The bottom underside 1/4 of the leaves are turning brown.( I have been cutting off the dead)
Outside I never had any brown leaves all summer. Any thing else I can do? I don't like the brown leaves.

I took pictures of the plant, but I don't see where to attach them to this e-mail.
Mariah
by Jiffymouse on November 26, 2004 01:19 AM
ok mariah, first let me welcome you to the garden helper's forum. we are a friendly bunch, and glad to have you.

second... about your fern. when a plant is brought in from outside, the leaves (especially those on a fern) tend to die off leaving new ones in their place. the reason for this seems to be the change in humidity and light intensity. cutting the brown ones off is the right thing to do. and rather than misting, you might want to set your plant on a pebble tray with water. just make sure the plant isn't actually sitting in the water. the evaporation of the water from the tray will give the plant more even and consistant humidity. hope this helps. let us know how you make out!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Boston Fern ?| Next thread: Boston fern trouble »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: