The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I'm new to gardening and very confused

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: I'm New - Banana Trees| Next thread: I'm so excited »
Back to Thread index
by eurogator on April 19, 2006 06:43 AM
I have not attempted to do any gardening since I was about seven years old, and now at 25 me and my husband have a house and the yard needs a lot of work. I thought I would start from seeds to make it more interesting, and I read the FAQ sheet about creating a greenhouse effect, but if anyone can give me any advice on the following plants I would greatly appreciate it. I'm starting with Morning Glory and Cathedral Bells (which I thought I would intermingle) and convolvulus and california poppy for the planters and trim of the house.
Any recommendations?
by joclyn on April 19, 2006 08:30 AM
well, working from seeds is okay - requires work and if the items aren't perenials you'll need to collect seeds at the end of the season and go through the whole thing again next year.

i'd suggest working with some bulbs as well as plants/bushes on top of the seeds and other annuals. you'll have things that are there every year and you can throw in some other things on a whim - that's the plus with annuals. you can experiment as well as do something different every year!!

what part of nj are you in? north, south, by the shore? what are conditions of your yard/porches? by that i mean shady or sunny? also, are you planting just in planters or are you going to put some things in the ground?
by tkhooper on April 19, 2006 09:08 AM
Morning glories twine and will strangle your bells so I wouldn't put them together.

If you have thin columns or porch rails or a fence the morning glories can definitely make them living pillars of color.

Poppies don't like to be moved so plant them where you want them to grow. They self seed well but have a tendency to move so you have to be prepared for that.

I'm not familar with the other plants you mentioned.

-
 -
by Bestofour on April 19, 2006 09:19 AM
I'm with you about the morning glories TK. I've had them choke out other vines.

Will poppies grow well in NJ?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by porter57 on April 19, 2006 09:26 AM
yup ,keep the morning glories somewhere off by themselves. they self seed trmendously .
the same can be said for four o clocks. once they start ,youll never be able to get rid of them. they belong by themselves. both are great in their own element,but they dont play well with others unless you put a lot of work in to
keep them in check.
bulbs work real nice, but some have to be lifted
in certain zones or they will die in the winter.
also they tend to need to be replaced from time to time which really isnt that bad.it gives you a chance to change things and try new things.
personally i would devote some areas to easy,repeating things that will come back year after year ,and keep other areas for bulbs and formal plantings.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: I'm New - Banana Trees| Next thread: I'm so excited »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: