The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Allamanda cathartica seeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Allamanda cathartica| Next thread: Allamanda vvine »
Back to Thread index
by sam314 on November 12, 2004 02:20 AM
Hi,
I have just planted some purple Allamanda cathartica seeds in some soil and they are now in a greenhouse. I was wondering if there is any special way to start them from seed. How soon will they germinate? How long before blooming? I couldn't find any info online anywhere!! Any help would be much appreciated!
Sam [flower]

God Bless,
Sam
Prov. 3:5-6
by Newt on November 27, 2004 01:45 AM
Hi Sam,

I did a search at www.google.com and put in the search box:
propagation + allamanda + seed
and got 265 hits. I too am having trouble finding the info you want. Most sites say to propagate from cuttings, though one site mentioned that the person put the seeds in a growing medium and waited until they sprouted. They just didn't say how long. It was the first one here.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=propagation+%2B+allamanda+%2B+seed&spell=1

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but a repeat of the search, or going to that link might be helpful. I wish I could could grow them in my zone 7 garden, but at least I did get to see them in their native habitat and it was wonderful.

Good luck,
Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by Bill on November 27, 2004 03:56 AM
Allamanda seeds need to be soaked in room temperature water for a minimum of 24 hours, or scarified (nicked) prior to planting. The preferred method , scarification requires that you take a file or sandpaper to lightly break the shell of the seed to allow water to penetrate.

You need to maintain a soil temperature of 75-85 for the seeds to sprout.
The seeds may take as long as 6-10 weeks to germinate...

-
by sam314 on November 28, 2004 01:30 AM
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated!!!!

Sam [flower]

God Bless,
Sam
Prov. 3:5-6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Allamanda cathartica| Next thread: Allamanda vvine »
Back to Thread index