The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Goldfish Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Goldfinch Playland| Next thread: Goldfish plant! »
Back to Thread index
by Celena0056 on August 09, 2005 11:52 AM
I just received a goldfish plant. I know the basic care, but does anyone know anything else I can use?
by connie mounsey on August 09, 2005 07:38 PM
I have a goldfish plant. It is hanging in the west window. It likes bright light, but not direct light. It also likes frequent misting. I thouroughly water it once a week. In the winter I don't water it very much at all. This past spring it was loaded with blooms. After it quit blooming I cut it back and used rooting hormone and put the cuttings back into the pot. I think they are beautiful when in bloom. Good luck with your plant!

Without faith life has no meaning.
by Celena0056 on August 10, 2005 12:21 AM
THANK YOU!!!!
by connie mounsey on August 10, 2005 06:39 AM
You are welcome! If you notice spots on the leaves (kind of an orange color) you are misting too much. I learned that one the hard way!

by Celena0056 on August 11, 2005 12:36 AM
Thanks again. What do you know about pale spots on lipstick plants. My same friend has a lipstick plant I told her it could be from not enough fertilizer, mine sometimes does that. So what do you think?
by Will Creed on August 11, 2005 08:40 AM
For a Goldfish plant (Nematanthus ‘Tropicana’ formerly Hypocyrta) to bloom well in the warmer months this plant needs a rest period in the cooler months. From November through March do not fertilize, keep temps on the cool side, and water just enough to keep the plant from wilting, allowing the soil to become quite dry. Growth will be minimal and there will be no flowers during this rest period.

In April, resume normal watering, keeping the soil moist, and fertilize monthly at half strength. It must be in a sunny window (south or west) to thrive. Expect flowers from July-September. Prune long stems back to within a few inches of the soil to keep the plant full and bushy.
by connie mounsey on August 11, 2005 07:27 PM
I haven't experienced spots on my lipstick plant. I have not even fertilized it at all. I did cut it back and use root stimulator on the cuttings and inserted the cuttings back into the pot. My plant was getting pretty long.

by Carly on August 11, 2005 07:58 PM
My daughter got a goldfish plant - it died off quickly but I don't think she was paying much attention to it.

She did try to re-pot the pieces, but not much happened.

It was very pretty when she got it.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by darlene87 on August 12, 2005 03:41 PM
I used to have goldfish plants, 4 of them. In summer, they got hung out in the shade area of the yard, and did great. Just remember to bring them in when it starts getting chilly out.
Darlene
by Celena0056 on August 16, 2005 12:02 AM
Thank you everyone. I will try all of the great ideas. Thank you Will, hey are you guys all geniuses or what?!
~Celena
by Will Creed on August 16, 2005 07:15 AM
I can only speak for myself, but yes I am a genius. My IQ is nearly as high as my Zone! [thinker]
by Celena0056 on August 16, 2005 08:21 AM
I believe it! What zone might this be? 2? I am just kidding. Thanks for the help though.
by Will Creed on August 16, 2005 08:49 AM
2? That's outrageous My Zone and IQ are 5!!!
by Celena0056 on August 16, 2005 11:34 AM
I was teasing!
by Will Creed on August 17, 2005 08:00 AM
I understand, Celena. So was I. At least I think I was! Haven't had my IQ checked lately.
by Celena0056 on August 18, 2005 12:40 AM
Perhaps, you should, cause you know what? I bet I'm right. We'll both check and see what happens.
~Celena
by Will Creed on August 18, 2005 05:02 AM
If you are right about my IQ being a 2, then you are dealing with a sub-human! [tongue]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Goldfinch Playland| Next thread: Goldfish plant! »
Back to Thread index