The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hardiness Zones

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: hardening off my plants| Next thread: Hardiness Zones/Heat Zones »
Back to Thread index
by Wheeler on April 18, 2006 08:04 AM
It seems as if every gardening website I am on, I am told a different number for my hardiness zone. Sometimes its 9, sometimes 9A, sometimes 10. Also, how important is this number? I have several items I would love to purchase, but not if they will not grow in my zone(hyacinths, dahlias, lilies, lilacs). Does anyone know what zone I am in and how much it matters? Also, anyone in my zone who has had experience with any of the flowers I mentioned (will they grow in my zone) please contact me.
by morninglori on April 18, 2006 08:26 AM
U R right. the USDA hardiness map is whack. My garden is listed as 7, 7a, 7b and 8 (same as North Carolina, which is silly because we don't get their rain and they don't get 100 degree days through the summer.) But, this one might help. It is the sunset garden zone map. I'd tell you the zone, but I don't know exactly where Escondido is in California.

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/garden/article/0,20633,845238,00.html

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: hardening off my plants| Next thread: Hardiness Zones/Heat Zones »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: