The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Jade Plant losing leaves/small branches

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Jade Plant losing leaves| Next thread: jade plant mold on leaves »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2
by lsmieja on November 06, 2004 01:43 AM
I have a large potted jade "tree" that I've had for 5 years. I moved from LA to Minnesota a year ago and had the plant indoors last year and then outdoors in full/partial sun until last month. It has off and on been losing leaves and sometimes branches since I moved here. The leaves sometimes have black spots or look eaten away but I see no bugs. Sometimes they are yellow and shriveled. The plant continues to have new growth and is currently flowering. I try not to water it unless it's really dry and the soil is pretty moist right now. I have a big handful of leaves that have fallen off just this week and am concerned it might not survive the winter. I tried to use a "Safe" brand spray because I thought maybe it was spider mites-but a lot of leaves fell off afterwards and it's still having this problem. Is this a bug problem? Mold? Too Little Sun? I don't know maybe it's too big for it's pot and is loosing the leaves because it's root system is too crowded? Maybe I should get a grow light? Any help would be great... Thanks
by Will Creed on November 06, 2004 05:31 AM
Your Jade has been through many changes since you moved. Potted plants really like stability and changes, especially in light, are stressful for them.

The leaf drop you are experiencing right now is a result of your moving it from the very intense outdoor light to the greatly reduced indoor light. The plant responds by dropping off older leaves that adapted to outdoor light and replacing them with new leaves that are more suited to the reduced indoor light. Pests are not the problem and repotting is not a good idea.

My advice is to find a sunny location in your home for your Jade and leave it there, even in the summer.
by Jiffymouse on November 07, 2004 01:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Will Creed:
Your Jade has been through many changes since you moved.

My advice is to find a sunny location in your home for your Jade and leave it there, even in the summer.

i second the leaving it in one spot suggestion!
by lsmieja on November 07, 2004 05:31 PM
I am relieved to hear that it's not something more serious. I have noticed this too about my plant-it was happiest when I just left it alone outside in full sun with little rain. I think there just isn't much sun even next to my window inside...

Believe it or not about 5 years ago this jade plant was in the backseat of a car that was in a car accident! Talk about unstable! It nearly died and has a battle scar in the fact that it is still a bit lopsided where it was damaged... But it recovered and grew into the big beautiful plant it is now. It is truly my favorite plant and looks wonderful in the large Chinese Painted Pot I have it in (I can no longer lift it myself though) Thank you for your help. Lisa

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Jade Plant losing leaves| Next thread: jade plant mold on leaves »
Back to Thread index