The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

ferns :( having issues...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Ferns| Next thread: Ferns - Ostrich Fern Roots Growth »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2
by Meighan on April 12, 2006 08:05 AM
Hi all [Smile] I planted 3 lovely HUGE ferns in my yard last march, and they did beautifully all year, untill october when they began to die back. I read that pruning was not necessary, so I let them die to a 'skeletal' state. I am starting to worry now as I cannot see ANY signs of life here in DE and it's been quite temperate for weeks. Is there anything I SHOULD be doing?

Thanks so much for your advice, as I really love these ferns and would like to help them come back this year.

Meg

Fumbling gardener
by Bill on April 12, 2006 08:19 AM
Its still early for new growth in your zone. Give them a little longer and they will surprise you one morning.

-
by patches1414 on April 12, 2006 03:29 PM
Hi Meg! [wavey]

I agree with Bill! [thumb] I'm just starting to see a little sign of life on a few of my ferns and I'm sure that in about a week I'll be seeing something on my other ones. [Smile] Just be patient!

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by slredmond on April 12, 2006 09:27 PM
My cinnamon fern are just starting to green up - no actual growth yet. I love how they look almost prehistoric in how they unfurl!

Sandy R.
by Meighan on April 13, 2006 06:36 AM
Thanks so much for your input, I'll try to be patient lol. [Smile] Does everyone think that I should leave the dead growth alone (i suspect that's a definate oxymoron lol), or should I whack it to the ground?

Thanks again!

Meg

Fumbling gardener
by Danny5uk on April 13, 2006 07:17 AM
Just me being gardenly challenged but arnt ferns meant to be evergreen?

http://www.lookingsharp.co.uk
by Andi on April 13, 2006 07:32 AM
Hi Meighan, did you check your ferns today? I have one leaf on two of my three ferns. You're not far from me so I bet yours are waking up too. I don't recall seeing any ferns while hiking during the winter though they love acidic soil and do well with evergreens. [grin]
by SpringFever on April 14, 2006 08:07 PM
Ferns are not evergreen at least not here in the north.
I do snip the dead growth myself..for the appearance. I have 6 and they are all starting to pop up a bit now.. yours should be right quick too.

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Bill on April 15, 2006 12:51 AM
Sword Ferns and Deer Ferns are evergreens...

-
by SpringFever on April 15, 2006 03:28 AM
Thanks Bill !!I have lady ferns they die back!
Deer ferns are cool!! I did not know that thanks I might want to check into one. [clappy] especially in the winter it is nice to see some life!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Andi on April 19, 2006 11:00 PM
Thanks Bill, never heard of either one. I have Japanese Painted, and Christmas. Have several houseplant ferns as well. I am always looking for something that stays green during the winter months to avoid the "dead" look. Thanks again.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ferns| Next thread: Ferns - Ostrich Fern Roots Growth »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: