The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Growing from Cuttings

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Growing flowers from seeds?| Next thread: Growing from seeds »
Back to Thread index
by Cerry on April 11, 2006 10:24 PM
I'm looking for some urgent advice! My grandmother has a climbing rose which is about 100 years old or more; it was planted by my great great grandmother in the garden of the family home. Unfortunately, last Winter my grandmother decided it had gotten too big and began cutting it down!!!! In desperation I took two cuttings to save it, being a family rose and probably quite rare now due to it's age. I planted them both in a pot of compost, with a little of my grandmother's soil mixed in and one of them started to sprout leaves! We then had a very wet winter and the soil has never been dry since last Novemeber despite my covering it from frost and snow! I checked on both the stalks today and neither of them have even got roots and the leaves which had begun to sprout from the strongest cutting have started to wilt! I'm really concerned that I'm going to loose the rose after the care I've tried to give it. Does anyone have any suggestions for me or advice? How long does it usually take roses to root as I have never done anything like this before! I'd be very very grateful for some help! Thanks
by alankhart on April 12, 2006 05:31 AM
Rose cuttings usually take about 6 to 8 weeks to root. The wet soil may be the problem. Although roses need regular watering, they don't like consistently wet soil and can rot. I would pull up the cuttings and check for rot at the bottom. If so, remove the rotted part and try again. I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try. I hope you don't lose them.

-
 -
 -
by Cerry on April 13, 2006 01:13 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a go and fingers crossed it works.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Growing flowers from seeds?| Next thread: Growing from seeds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: