The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

China Doll Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: China Doll HELP!| Next thread: China doll plant »
Back to Thread index
by rickat4ever on November 03, 2004 08:50 AM
Hi everyone,
I bought a china doll plant a couple of weeks ago...the leaves are drying up and falling...
How do I take care of a china doll plant?
watering...sun exposure etc. etc.
Thanx for any help, Kat
by Longy on November 03, 2004 01:14 PM
G'day Kat, they can't dry out. Even for a short while. Once the leaves wilt you'll usually lose 'em even if you water immediately. They go good in the ground in a warm climate but in a pot they require that extra bit of attention. When you pot it up use some water crystals in the mix to help retain moisture, also don't use a terracota pot, or seal it if you do. They still like good drainage, just don't let it dry out.
by rickat4ever on November 03, 2004 05:51 PM
Thank You for your help.... [Smile]
What kind of lighting do they like...?
Thanx, Again,
Kat
by Cricket on November 03, 2004 08:55 PM
Hi Kat,

China doll's enjoy bright, indirect light in addition to frequent watering. My experience has been that they are similar to figs and lose their leaves easily when moved around.
by Will Creed on November 05, 2004 03:25 AM
China doll is a notoriously finicky plant that will drop leaves rather dramatically for many reasons, including a change in environment, improper light, irregular watering, temperature change, pests, normal aging, and repotting. My overall advice is to keep it potbound, prune it regularly, and provide a consistent environment for it. BTW, it is difficult to keep this plant looking good indoors for more than a year or two. Good luck with yours.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: China Doll HELP!| Next thread: China doll plant »
Back to Thread index