The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

i don't know what kind of plant I have. can you help?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: I don't know this plant!| Next thread: I don't recommend this.. »
Back to Thread index
by shermanslave on July 20, 2005 05:04 AM
I don't have a picture, but maybe I can describe it? It is a dark burgundy-ish purple and the leaves are shaped like little hearts or butterflies. Not very big, about 6 inches high. I don't know what it is called or how to take care of it. Sound familiar to anyone? Thank you so much.javascript:void(0)
by DowntoEarth on July 20, 2005 12:52 PM
Just a guess, maybe an Oxalis??? [thinker]
by shermanslave on July 25, 2005 11:27 AM
That's it! thank you so much! Someone gave us one and I did nor know how to take care of it. thank you very much!
by Will Creed on July 26, 2005 07:09 AM
Oxalis' have a winter dormant period that must be respected. Starting in September, stop fertilizing and gradually reduce the frequency of watering over the next month. The leaves will gradually die.

By mid October you should stop watering altogether and move your Oxalis to a cool, dark place where you can ignore it until February.

In February, you will see some signs of life. That is the signal that you can resume normal watering and fertilizing and move it to a sunny windowsill. Continue this routine until next September. It does best when moderately potbound.
by shermanslave on October 30, 2005 12:27 PM
Mr. Creed,
Thank you so much for that advice. Perfect explanation of what is happening to our plant right now. Thanks to you, we can save it. Thanks!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: I don't know this plant!| Next thread: I don't recommend this.. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: