The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Kalanchoe

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Kalanchoe| Next thread: Kalanchoe »
Back to Thread index
by dcamp on November 01, 2004 04:55 PM
My aunt gave me two clippings from her kalanchoe plant last spring. I had them on my patio all summer and they thrived beautifully. I brought the pot into the house about 3 weeks ago when the weather started getting colder. Up until now, everything was fine. This morning I noticed that some of the leaves are beginning to yellow. I don't want to lose the plant. I never had one before and am unsure how to care for it over the winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Donna

Donna
by Will Creed on November 05, 2004 03:32 AM
The reason people move their houseplants outside in the warmer months is because the better light and air circlation promotes better growth. What is often forgotten is that plants tend to deteriorate when they are moved back inside in the cooler months, primarily because of the reduction in light.

I suggest that you prune your Kalanchoe back as much as you can stand it and locate it on your sunniest windowsill for the winter.
by dcamp on November 15, 2004 02:54 PM
Thank you Will. I did prune the plant back and moved it to a sunny location. Two other questions: How often do I water? and should I fertilize? Tnank you. Donna

Donna
by Jiffymouse on November 18, 2004 03:53 AM
wait to water it until it gets fairly dry, then give it a good drenching.
by Will Creed on November 18, 2004 04:19 AM
Donna,

I suggest that you not fertilize until next spring and then only at half strength. Fertilizer is intended only for healthy plants that are growing vigorously.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Kalanchoe| Next thread: Kalanchoe »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: