The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dipledenia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Dionea muscipula| Next thread: dipper gourds »
Back to Thread index
by cc1999ca on October 27, 2004 03:41 PM
Oh my gosh.......my husband just bought me a huge ( about 7 ft. tall Dipledenia, and I have it in the house, cause winter is coming, but it isn't doing well at all. Does anyone know how I should care for it. I have given it one feeding of flowering plant food as it said I should do every two weeks, but it's still wilting and droppin leaves and flowers!!
by weezie13 on October 27, 2004 04:36 PM
Hey cc1999ca,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!
We are very glad you found us!

I'm not too sure about your plant, but I'm sure someone will be able to help you with your plant.
But, just so you know, I'm going to move your post into the HOUSE PLANT SECTION, cause I think a few more gardener's will go thru that section, will be able to help you a little better into there.

Don't forget to check out all of our other great sections here, like Recipe's, Crafts and Hobbies, The Game Room, and Banter Hall for chatting!
There's lot's to do here, and lot's of friendly people here to get to know in this great lil' Cyber Community!!!

Lot's of members from Canada as well!!
Get to know them!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by cc1999ca on October 28, 2004 02:08 AM
Thankyou for the help, Weezie.
CC1999ca.
by lizheaemma on October 28, 2004 05:59 AM
I actually can't picture your plant so I'll just give you some general information!
So far this plant has been living out side and getting unfiltered sun and exposure to the elements, some rain and nice brezes to dry out the rain and so forth and all of a sudden you have taken it inside and put it in a climate controled enviroment. Even in the sunniest window it's not getting as much sun as it did outside and it's watering requirments are going to drop right down. Your plant is going through culture shock in a way! It needs to be given time to adapt to lower light conditions and watering conditions. Make sure that you let it dry out between watering till the top soil it dry and you have to stick your finger into it to feel moisture.

Hope that this helps!
If you can give me more info on this plant then I can help you some more, some plants needs the sesonal changes of being outside to survive. My trusty plant book is at work so I'll bring it home tommorow if I remember.
by lizheaemma on October 28, 2004 06:01 AM
One more thought! I'd give it a break on the fertilizer and let it have a rest! I you really feel the need to feed it make sure that you are doing so at about 1/4 the recommended amout!
Ali
by cc1999ca on October 29, 2004 02:03 AM
Thankyou both for your replies....actually it was in a nursery, I think probably in the sun though. As I said it was a gift. the flowers on it look like petunia blooms. I thought probably it was in shock and I will stop watering and fertiling for a bit. I know he paid a fortune for it and I'm so afraid it will die. Keep you fingers crossed and if you come across any mor info I would be happy to hear it. Thankyou again.
CC
by madsquopper on November 01, 2004 09:03 PM
I've found it easiest in northern climates to simply let dipledenia and mandevilla go dormant in the winter and then put them outside the following spring. What I do each fall is cut them *way* back (like to 6 inches), bring them into the basement by a north facing window, and only water enough to keep from drying out (this might only be every few weeks).

I've tried keeping them going through winter, but it's not worth it since they hardly flower and seem to attract lots of mealy bugs or other insects.

Larry

"It only takes one child to raze a village"
by cc1999ca on November 02, 2004 01:26 AM
Hi Larry,
Thankyou for your response.....this plant is about 6 or 7 feet tall, apparently it's been going for about 5 years, should I still cut it back that much, yikes??? What a waste! I will if that's what needs to be done.
CC
by madsquopper on November 02, 2004 03:39 AM
You might as well keep iut going as is to enjoy the flowers. Maybe yours will do better than mine did. But if it eventually starts looking really ratty you can prune it back quite far and it will eventually regrow new shoots.

Larry

"It only takes one child to raze a village"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dionea muscipula| Next thread: dipper gourds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: