The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Burpee is in the Doghouse

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: burnt out on information| Next thread: Burro's Tail »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on April 07, 2006 01:24 AM
Well the double bloom rose parade impatiens bloomed today. It's not even read like the package said it would be. it's purple and it's not a double bloom at all. The plant still looks more like a palm tree than a bush. It didn't branch at all inspite of pinching. And it doesn't seem to transplant at all well either. I am so disappointed. And the seeds were 4.95 for 40 lousy little seeds. Never again.

-
 -
by dodge on April 07, 2006 08:00 AM
Send us a photo of the error......
Burpee boo boo. [tongue]

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by weezie13 on April 07, 2006 08:37 AM
Yeah, got a picture?????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Deborah L. on April 07, 2006 08:51 AM
Park's Seeds upset me recently.
I paid more than $8 plus shipping for a variegated honeysuckle plant.
I got a tiny pink and green twig that was mailed on a Wednesday, and so was in a dark box for more than a week.
Never again ! [Razz]

-
 -
by patches1414 on April 07, 2006 01:36 PM
I ordered a pink butterfly bush several years ago and it had purple flowers. I was so disappointed. [tears] because I wanted to plant in my mom's yard because she loved pink flowers. I quit ordering from catalogs, but then considered it recently when I found Trillium plants offered. When I posted something here about it, I was told the company was no-no and had a bad track record, so I passed it up. It's hard to pass it up when it's something you want, but it's better than the disappointments, so I was glad to get the advice. [Smile] [Smile] [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by johnCT on April 07, 2006 08:26 PM
You just can't trust these large mail order places for decent product. Spring Hill is the absolute worst!

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on April 07, 2006 09:18 PM
I get stuff from QVC, they have a few different companies that come there...
Roberta's, Cottage Farms, Instant Gardens, etc...
And they've had some really nice stuff...
*Not totally a whole big bargain* but
GUARENTEEDDDDDDDDDDDDD... anything I don't like,
and goes back, they don't question me, or anything..
and you have a ONE YEAR GUARENTEEEEE...
Not many places do that, buy a plant, and plant it, and it doesn't do good, you call up and say,
I wasn't happy with it's performance, and they credit your account the way you want it...

I've never sent anything "garden" back..
*once order had some green mold on the bulb,
but I wiped it off, and pulled the outter shell
off and planted and had really good lookin' plants after..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Deborah L. on April 07, 2006 11:34 PM
I love QVC ! I've never ordered any plants, but lots of other stuff.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 07, 2006 11:40 PM
 -

-

Well here are the images of the plant. Do you think I should write to Burpee's and tell them I'm very disappointed?

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 08, 2006 09:33 AM
How tall is that plant??

I don't think I've seen one that tall....

But it looks veryyyyy healthy [flower] [flower] [flower] [flower] !!!!

The flower it's self is very pretty,
and I love the color...
But it definately doesn't look like a
double bloom...

Have you contacted them???
And told them what happened...
They may have some kind of boo~boo policy!!!!

I am looking forward to the snaps' picture whenever you do get it...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on April 08, 2006 09:45 AM
it's tall about 20 inches tall from the top of the pot. I was wondering if I should e-mail Burpee's and tell them about it. I think I will. See if they will do anything about it.

-
 -
by loz on April 08, 2006 10:02 AM
I would Tammy, you paid for double flowering seeds....Anytime a company messes up I make sure I call, or email and complain. And heaven forbid they see that side of me....because it can get pretty ugly. [scaredy] [Big Grin] I bet they'll send you a new pack, or refund your money. [thumb]
by tkhooper on April 08, 2006 10:21 AM
Ok, I sent them an e-mail I'll keep you posted as far as what happens from this point on.

-
 -
by comfrey on April 08, 2006 10:37 AM
I had a similar thing happen last year with some veggie seed....I ended up with some hybrid type, that was not what the package said. I only ordered my seed this year from Pinetree & SSE, I have always gotten what I ordered. Years ago I order some plants from Burpee...One was died when arrived and the others looked so pitiful it was sad, I called them about this, and they issued me a full refund without return the any of the plants, So I try to steer clear of companies if I ever have a problem one time with them.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on April 08, 2006 10:44 AM
Me too. No Park's Seeds for me, ever again.
Also, I ordered daylily seeds as that was the only way to get a huge variety of colors, but they never said that it takes 2 years to get flowers, and worse, never said in the catalog or on the phone that daylilies are poisonous to cats.
Once I saw that part online somwhere, I threw out the seeds. No way do I want lilies near, or even the pollen blowing through a window. That was one of the warnings.

-
 -
by netty on April 08, 2006 08:09 PM
Looks like the plant I grow that I call Balsam...same family. I hate when I get a plant that isn't what I thought it would be. I've had this problem at nursery's too. Last year I bought alot of tomatoes that were supposed to be Beefsteak and Celebrity, and I ended up with a whole lot of Roma tomatoes. I was soooo mad [Mad]

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 08, 2006 08:27 PM
Wow I had no idea there were so many problems with nurserys and seed companies. I'll have to start keeping a list of the good ones so I know where to look for seeds when I can't trade for them.

I have some balsam seeds I don't think I want to plant them if that is what they come up like. I guess I can put them in the seed exchange maybe someone else will like them.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 08, 2006 09:08 PM
Question Tammy?????
I just Goodled your Balsam flowers, and got
this picture..
Whatchya think??
Balsam Flowers
*could they have been switched...??*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by porter57 on April 08, 2006 10:53 PM
im thinkin balsams are a variety of impatiens.
and i do know if you plant them out,they will grow amuck from self seeding. had em growing out of every crack and cranny at old place i lived.
by tkhooper on April 11, 2006 09:00 PM
Your right Weezie those are what I ended up with. One has purple flowers on it and one has pink so far. We'll see what the other two come up with as far as color.

BTW I did e-mail Burpee's and told them about it and they e-mailed me back today and asked if I wanted another packet of the seeds or a refund. I said I wanted the refund. These are not at all what I wanted. I hope they don't reseed they aren't what I wanted at all. I guess I'll have to keep looking.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 11, 2006 09:59 PM
After I saw that flower, it just looked like that kind...

Must have been a switch up there..
Refunds are always good.. [thumb] [thumb] [flower] [grin] [clappy]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: burnt out on information| Next thread: Burro's Tail »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: