The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

triming my lucky bamboo?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by izeliah on October 24, 2004 04:09 AM
I received a lucky bamboo as a housewarming present and was told that I should trim the roots every so often. This seems weird to me but I do have it in quite a small pot and the roots are running rampant should I trim them and if so how much? Please help
by Jiffymouse on October 24, 2004 07:48 PM
trimming the roots won't hurt it. but remember, even though it lives in water, it is really a draceana and will grow better in soil.
by Shani on October 24, 2004 08:36 PM
so planting my bamboo would be a good thing?

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
by Jiffymouse on October 25, 2004 02:58 AM
yes. in a well draining pot, with good soil and you will be amazed at how well it will take off.
by Shani on October 25, 2004 07:30 AM
hmm, I will have to try this, it may tak a while to find just the right pot

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
by MZSHIRLEY on October 30, 2004 04:53 AM
NOT TO SAY JIFFY IS WRONG, BUT ALL 12 OF MY BAMBOO ARE IN CLEAR GLASS CONTAINER'S, VASE'S, CLEAR GLASS, JARS FROM THE DOLLAR STORE. I HAVE NEVER PUT MINE IN SOIL. THEY ARE IN A SOUTH WINDOW. DOING JUST FINE. MAYBE TRY ONE OR TWO IN SOIL AND A FEW IN WATER. MAYBE I WILL TRY ONE IN SOIL. KEEP ME INFORMED.

SHIRLEY
by Cricket on October 30, 2004 07:08 AM
My vote goes to Jiffymouse's advice. I, too, planted mine in soil and they have thrived. In the past few weeks a couple of them have given "birth" to babies.
by Jiffymouse on October 30, 2004 03:23 PM
cricket, i am interested... where abouts did your's produce the babies? in the pot next to it or from the stem/stalk itself?
by rozy221 on November 06, 2004 06:50 AM
Wow! I just checked on my bamboo, and I think one of mine also made a baby like Cricket's! [grin] It's coming from right above a "node". My question is, I have the bamboo in a 6" dark container and the baby is too far down to be getting ANY light-is that ok, or should i maybe move it to a different container? [dunno] Thank you!! [muggs]
by Jiffymouse on November 07, 2004 01:28 AM
i'd try to move it to a more translucent pot.
by Cricket on November 08, 2004 03:07 AM
Hi Jiffymouse,

My babies are growing out of the soil next to the mother plant. The mothers are 2 years old, in individual pots. From the 5 I potted at the same time, the two with babies both gave birth about 2 months ago and the babies already have 4 inch stalks topped with leaves another 3inches high.
by cecilia on November 08, 2004 03:19 AM
i have a lucky bamboo in a small pot, potted with small stones, i water probably every couple of days (when the stones look dry). now my question. my bamboo has grown so tall (probably about 14") and is growing in a circular fashion, almost looks like a spiral staircase. is this normal, do i need to trim, move to a different pot, plant in soil? help please.
by celeste on November 11, 2004 03:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by celeste:
quote:
Originally posted by MZSHIRLEY:
NOT TO SAY JIFFY IS WRONG, BUT ALL 12 OF MY BAMBOO ARE IN CLEAR GLASS CONTAINER'S, VASE'S, CLEAR GLASS, JARS FROM THE DOLLAR STORE. I HAVE NEVER PUT MINE IN SOIL. THEY ARE IN A SOUTH WINDOW. DOING JUST FINE. MAYBE TRY ONE OR TWO IN SOIL AND A FEW IN WATER. MAYBE I WILL TRY ONE IN SOIL. KEEP ME INFORMED.

What type of planting medium do you have the bamboo in?

*celeste
by Cricket on November 12, 2004 05:16 AM
I believe the theory is that although lucky bamboo will survive for some time in water, to thrive they eventually need nutrients that are found more commonly in soil. I suppose one could add the nutrients to water (hydroponics?)but it seems less complicated to just plant them in soil. I've had success with a potting soil that I supplemented with extra peat to maintain high soil moisture for longer.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: