The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Adopted: 28 year old Indoor Ficus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Adiantum pedatum| Next thread: Advice for a complete newbie? :) »
Back to Thread index
by Trollark on July 12, 2005 11:26 AM
Hi there,

Due to its size (I have vaulted ceilings, mom does not) I just adopted my sister's birth tree of 28 years! It's a beautiful large, wide, indoor ficus. I have to admit though it's a bit temperamental (drops leaves when moved) and needs some care. It's healthy, pest free and needs to be pruned. Are there any specific techniques, do/don'ts for pruning? Are there some general tips to caring for a ficus? I live in a rather arid area of Central Oregon. It will be positioned for southern exposure and should be very happy. I have taller ceilings so height isn't necessarily the issues it's the wide nature of the tree that I need some supervision before cutting. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
-T
by Nako on July 12, 2005 11:43 AM
oh wow o.O how tall is it? Mr. Creed has a pamphlet on ficus that he gives out to people sometimes so hopefully he'll see this thread and give you one ^.^ But ya, as far as pruning goes, *thinks* i donno, i just prune in a way that would make the tree look pretty [dunno] I donated my ficus to the school a while ago, so i won't see it till i get back there lol. But i've got full maintenance on it ^.^

But ya, they like lotsa indirect light, annnnd their leaves have this thing where they fall off if the lighting on them changes. Cuz ya, each leave is adjusted to a specific lighting condition, and if the light changes, it falls off, and produces a new leave which is all adapted n stuff. So ya ^.^ give the tree a shake to get rid of any dead or dying leaves. They're tougher than you'd think [Smile]

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Trollark on July 12, 2005 11:48 AM
It's pushing 8 feet tall and probably the same around!

-T

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Adiantum pedatum| Next thread: Advice for a complete newbie? :) »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: