The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help my Bird of Paradise!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Help my Bird of Paradise!| Next thread: HELP MY CAT PALM »
Back to Thread index
by A Dancing Nancy on October 10, 2004 10:05 PM
Hi! I'm new to this site and am in need of some help with a fairly new plant. I got a White Bird of Paradise a few months ago and it was doing really well in its new home. When I returned from my honeymoon (apparently Sis isn't the best plant-sitter) all the leaves were shriveling and brown around the edges. I watered it (it was pretty dry) and cut off all the dead edges. Since then, it's continually browning and shrivelling. I've been trying to trim off the dead parts as suggested by a friend but am having no luck in rehabilitating it... any ideas?

A Dancing Nancy
by sidheblooms on October 11, 2004 07:24 AM
sorry..i have no ideas, but sounds as though it was stressed, poor thing, how come you left it like that?!? [tears]

hehehe...i just wanted to say WOW about growing a birds of paridise, a white one none-the-less, wow..what an exotic plant! one of my mothers favorite.

hope it recovers soon

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by A Dancing Nancy on October 11, 2004 05:40 PM
Had to leave him for my honeymoon! He was neglected and I'm trying to nurse him back to health, but I keep misting and trimming and he's looking pretty pitiful!
Thanks for saying Hi!

A Dancing Nancy
by jeetu on November 09, 2004 02:45 AM
Hi,
I've been searching all afternoon for a similar problem I am having- I have a 6 year old White Birds of Paradise plant (indoor). Its about 11 feet now, I've recently noticed tiny white spots on the leaves and the stems, I cleaned them off with a wet cloth. But mow I have a bigger problem, the leaves are all turning brown on the edges(like they have been burnt).

I am really attached to this plant and am trying desperately to save it!! Could someone advice me on what is wrong and how I can save my plant. (I water it once a week and it gets moderate light) Any help is appreciated.

THanks,

jeetu
by Jiffymouse on November 09, 2004 03:40 AM
i don't know much about b-o-p's but what i know about plants in general suggests to me that one of two things are happening. either it needs more humidity or you are over feeding it. too much fertilizer will give plants a "burnt" look.

if it is the humidity, put a tray of water under the plant, and set the plant's pot up on rocks or pebbles to keep it out of the water. the evaporating water will raise the humidity in the immediate vacinity of the plant.

the second is easier to fix. just quit feeding the plant for a couple of months (or more) then when you resume, only feed at 1/2 or even 1/4 the "recommended" amount. which, by the way, is more than most plants need unless they are in full bloom and are heavy feeders (ie african violets).
by Will Creed on November 10, 2004 10:39 PM
White birds require lots of very bright light and should get several hours of direct sun every day. Even so, they rarely bloom inside the home. Inadequate light can cause some of the symptoms you described.

However, they don't like really dry soil and I suspect that the neglect that yours suffered while you were honeymooning (Congratulations, BTW!) has damaged many of the roots and that is causing the leaf loss. The already damaged leaves are not likley to recover. However, if you provide good light and proper light from now on, there is a good chance that the new leaves that come in will be fine, with or without increased humidity. Unfortunately, these plants are slow growers and don't put out more than a few new leaves each year.

If the white spots have a cotton-like texture, then they are mealybugs. If you need treatment instructions, let me know.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help my Bird of Paradise!| Next thread: HELP MY CAT PALM »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: