The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Varigated Green Red Ti Dying...HELP!!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by kattywac on July 09, 2005 04:49 AM
It is fading and then turning brown and then the leaves fall off!!! I don't do well with house plants...obviously. Outplants I dont have a problem with.

>^..^< ~Kattywac
by Dixie Angel on July 09, 2005 05:46 AM
Is it a watering problem maybe? By the way...welcome to the forum. This is a good place to ask questions. Someone will always come up with the right answer for you.

Dianna

-
 -
by kattywac on July 09, 2005 05:58 AM
That is always my problem...I dont know if i water too much or too little. I read where it also might be a humidity problem which I am not sure how to fix indoors. Thanks for your help!!!

>^..^< ~Kattywac
by Dixie Angel on July 09, 2005 09:14 AM
If Will Creed stops by, I know he will know what to tell you to do about it. The man is a walking plant encyclopedia! [grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by Nako on July 09, 2005 07:33 PM
varigated plants typically like to have lots of sun. Annnnnnnnnnd ya, water when it looks like the soil is dry ^.^

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Will Creed on July 09, 2005 11:15 PM
Thanks for the endorsement, Dianna!

Hi Kattywac,

Caring for indoor potted plants is very different than caring for plants outside, so don't feel badly.

Ti plants are not easy plants, even for experienced houseplant folks. They are very particular about proper soil moisture and they do require a lot of light and increased humidity also helps. Finally, they are very sensitive to excesss minerals in the water and soil, especially fluoride.

If you can post a photo or e-mail one to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com that would help a lot.

In general, your Ti should be in a small pot and located on a sunny windowsill. The top inch of soil should dry out in between thorough waterings. If your local water is on the hard side or fluoridated, use filtered, distilled or rainwater instead. Do not fertilize or use perlite (a source of fluoride).
by Cricket on July 09, 2005 11:25 PM
Will, you miss soo much when you don't venture from Houseplants. [shocked] Ya gotta get out more often! [Wink]

Kattywac's Ti:

-

I [Love] those colors. All the varigated Ti plants I see in shops look great when they arrive but decline quickly a few weeks later so I hesitate to purchase one.
by Will Creed on July 09, 2005 11:48 PM
Hi Cricket,

I do avoid topics about which I don't have good knowledge. There is enough bad advice floating about without my adding to the clutter of misinformation. So I do stick close to home. The Hostesses usually do a good job of re-filing these things so incompetents like me don't have to stray.

But thanks for keeping track for me.

That is a beautiful Ti Plant, Kattywac. Is that the "before" or the "now" photo?
by kattywac on July 11, 2005 07:27 AM
that is the before...i will send the after later...eeeekkkk
thanks so much for your help, i think it needs more light but how do you add humidity? misting? and the distilled water will be on my next shopping list...thanks again

>^..^< ~Kattywac
by kattywac on July 11, 2005 07:59 AM
I am adding more light. I have also begun misting it during the day. Distilled water is on my list as I said before. I have rocks on the top of the soil...someone said that helps hold the humidity.
More advice anyone?
[dunno]
Here is the after...
 -

>^..^< ~Kattywac
by kattywac on July 11, 2005 08:02 AM

>^..^< ~Kattywac
by Will Creed on July 11, 2005 08:52 AM
Ouch! How long is it between the two photos?

Defintely provide more light. However, it looks like there is more of a root-related issue right now; probablyy root rot.

Remove the rocks. They will not incresae humidity. A pebble tray underneath the pot will do that. Misting helps a little, but not much.

I don't think humidity is the major problem either. I suspect root rot. Be sure the top inch of soil is very dry before you add distilled water.

Trim off any dead or discolored leaves becaus ethey are not coming back. If any of the main stems are shriveled, cut them back, as well. Avoid all fertilizer.

Warm temps, good light, properly dried soil, increased humidity and patience is what you want. Forget everything else.

Good luck!
by kattywac on July 12, 2005 01:40 AM
I got this plant for Monther's Day this past May and this pic was taken on Sunday...eeek.

Should I repot or just let it dry out? I didn't think I was watering it too much. How much water at a time? This plant is about 12 inches tall from the dirt to the top. Also, since I have the airconditioner on should I put it outside? In shade or sun? We live in Indiana so it is really hot in the sun this time of year.

Thanks for all of your help.

>^..^< ~Kattywac
by Will Creed on July 12, 2005 07:18 AM
Put it outside in a shady location where it is protected from direct rays of the sun at all times. It likes warmth and that will help it dry out more frequently. Always water enough that the entire rootball is saturated.

Do not repot it.
by kattywac on July 13, 2005 12:44 AM
Thank you so much for your help...it is already looking better. I hope I can save it. Thanks again, Will. [thumb]

>^..^< ~Kattywac
by Will Creed on July 13, 2005 05:18 AM
Good luck, my Hoosier friend!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: