The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Alyssum seedlings died - help!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Rosepetal on March 28, 2006 02:59 AM
Hi anyone,
I sowed my alyssum seeds a week ago, they sprouted within 4 days and today when I went to water them they had a layer of fine mold - I think that's what it was - on top and most of the seedlings were dead. Can anyone tell me what happened? [dunno]

I'm new to this world of starting flowers and veggies by seed, my hubby set up a cart for me with flor. lights since I don't have good outside lighting. I also used a store bought seedling starter mix so I'm ok there I think, but I'm learning as I go. Please help me if you can. [tears]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by njoynit on March 28, 2006 06:09 AM
its damping off.its also hard to point to what actually caused the damping off,(cold is a possibility)but are lots of ways to help prevent it.
Chamomile tea for watering.3 bags steeped in sterileized jug.
sprinkleing cinnamon on soil.
boiled distilled water cooled off to water potting mix.
hydrogen peroxide 3% 1 C to a gallon jug of distilled water.
sterilize pots 1 part bleach 10 parts water
and hand washing(or hand santizer gel)

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by peppereater on March 28, 2006 08:21 AM
Rosepetal...could you have overwatered?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by johnCT on March 28, 2006 08:55 AM
Sounds like damping off to me.

John - Zone 6
by Rosepetal on March 28, 2006 10:38 AM
[thinker] I don't think it was over watering, for I had only misted the first few days.
I do think it may be damping off. Before I started with my seeding, I asked at our local hardware store for some help with the damping off deal and they had no idea what I was talking about [scaredy] So much for help whan you need it. Now I lost these but will try and watch my other ones carefully.
Thanks for your help. [flower]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by johnCT on March 28, 2006 08:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rosepetal:
I asked at our local hardware store for some help with the damping off deal and they had no idea what I was talking about
Not suprising. [Roll Eyes]

To help gaurd against DO, use a good quality starting mix like you did. Keep it moist but not wet. If you cover the tray, remove it once the seed germinates. Keeping the air moving above the flats with a small fan set to low helps. DO is a fungus.

John - Zone 6
by dodge on April 01, 2006 08:41 AM
I WOULD SAY DAMPOFF IS CAUSED BY THE SUDDEN TEMPERATURE CHANGE......

I HEAR THE GREENHOUSES HAVE THAT AT TIME TOO.

DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Rosepetal on April 02, 2006 02:30 AM
Thanks John, [Smile]

I got rid of the bad areas with my alyssums and the seedlings right beside them are doing just fine. I find this interesting that only that one row in my tray went bad. [Frown]

I started a fan going in the room with all my seedlings. Just misted them this morning and all are doing well. I have 12 different types of seedlings on the go and I'm utterly amazed how well they are all growing. [Big Grin]

This is my first time with this type of gardening, I am growing quite a large garden this year with lots of flowers as well. So the success of my seedlings is giving me quite a boost. [Wink]

Thanks to all on the forum as well. Things go well when we help one another. [muggs]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum