The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Self Watering pots for peace lillies.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by BettyBoop on October 18, 2004 08:36 PM
Hello again,
Please tell me how to use self watering pots for My peace Lillies??? How much water should I pour into the self watering spouts? how often should I water My peace lillies? How do I know they have enough water? Desperately seeking answers [flower]

BETTYBOOP
by Jiffymouse on October 19, 2004 05:08 AM
the way i know when to water my peace lillies is when the top of the soil feels dry and the lillies are "pouting" (almost droopy) i have both kinds of pots, don't seem to matter. i end up watering them the same way, and i have one that is almost 14 years old.
by BettyBoop on October 19, 2004 05:40 PM
Hi there again jiffymouse,
Thanks for your reply to my second question as well! I need to also know how I will be able to tell if i've added enough water to the self watering pot and how do i know i've put enough
water in the regular pot? not sure what's enough
for either? I'm also adding a few drops of miracle grow to the water, is this okay?
Many thanks, jiffymouse! [flower] [flower]

BETTYBOOP
by lizheaemma on October 20, 2004 01:36 AM
Watering House Plants

Watering house plants can be a bit of an art! The first thing isto know a little about the plant in question. Peace lilies like it a little on the wetter side. I water untill water comes out of the bottom of the pot unless I think that the soil might not actually be taking up water and then I fill up the sink and soak it untill bubbles stop comming to the top. Let the plant then dry out to about a the top quarter for most plants. Feel the top of the soil it it's still damp then it's not time to water yet!
Hope that helps out!
Let me know if you have any more questions!
by lizheaemma on October 20, 2004 01:52 AM
Sorry I missed your other question! Self watering pots draw water from the bottom using a wick and just keep sucking up water as long it is there! You need to be carfull what plants you put in these pots. Something that like a peace lily that likes alot of water should do ok in one of these, again you have to make sure that all of the soil gets saturated each time that you water and that the plant also gets to dry out some between waterings!
by BettyBoop on October 20, 2004 02:46 AM
Thanks Lizheaemma! I appreciate the assist!
I'll definitely contact You again! [flower] [flower]

BETTYBOOP
by Jiffymouse on October 20, 2004 05:19 AM
[thumb] thank you liz, you explained it much better than i did. i personally don't like the "self watering pots" for the very reason you stated, you have to be careful what you put in them. but they are a help with things like peace lilies and african violets.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: