The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help for a Newbie

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Help Flamebush| Next thread: Help for Azaleas!! »
Back to Thread index
by Rachelle on March 31, 2006 02:38 AM
Hi,

I am going to attempt to plant some flowers and greenery outside my home for the first time ever this summer. I know absolutely nothing about gardening and landscaping so this is going to be a huge learning curve for me. I live in Northwestern Ontario where it is only warm between June and September. I am looking for suggestions re: types of flowers and plants that a beginner gardener might not kill.
by loz on March 31, 2006 03:05 AM
Marigolds, Zinnias, Cosmos(my personal fav), Moss Rose(portulacas), Sunflowers for a sunny spot....

Impatiens, Bleeding Heart, Hostas for the shade.

What kind of sun/shade conditions do you have in your yard.....

Are you more interested in annuals that only last one season, or perennials that last quite a few seasons.....Annuals are generally cheaper and give a brighter splash of color....I like a good combo of both! [thumb]
by tkhooper on March 31, 2006 03:58 AM
Love lies bleeding for shade so far they have been pretty easy to get going.

For a sunny spot maybe some larkspur. That you can start inside 12 weeks before you plant it outside.

It would help if you could check your soil pH first before planting too. You can get a kit to do that at your local garden center. And it would be best to do that now if you can dig into your dirt at all because amending the soil should be done before the planting by a space of time. I know I lost some of my plants because I didn't have the right pH for them. This year those are in pots so I don't make the same mistake twice. So I have some chinese lanterns growing this year.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help Flamebush| Next thread: Help for Azaleas!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: