The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Aloe Gel Longevity

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: aloe and water| Next thread: Aloe help needed »
Back to Thread index
by evolution4648 on July 04, 2005 09:17 AM
Hello folks my name's Dan, and I'm new to the forum. I'm getting an aloe plant tonight and my mission is to elicit suggestions as to where and how one might store the gel from the plant as I backpack through the mountains of New Mexico, as well as any helpful suggestions regarding its shelf-life. I figure the gel will protect me from those natural beings which seek to do me harm out there in the wilderness for a few days. All and any help is appreciated... Bless all of you sentient beings.

Embrace those who think differently than you more so than you would welcome those who don't use their brain @ all!
by newlife on July 04, 2005 09:49 AM
My experience is that Aloe doesn't have a long shelf, but I have been told to try a couple of things, the first being to take the branch off the plant and wrap it up outer skin and all in foil and store it in the refrigerator, breaking off pieces as you need them. it worked well for a couple of weeks then got mushy, gross, and finally frozen. The second method was to take a branch off and slice it down the center and scrap the Aloe gel out into a airtight container a refrigerate that- so far this has worked,though the cold seems to thin out the gel somewhat. Maybe you can keep it cold in a cooler or with an ice pack, I am wondering if you can just take branch off and carry it with you with no refrigeration any cut you make on an Aloe will seal itself over- but I don't know. I can tell you that Aloe works wonders for skin problesm/ medicinal purposes, I have had a nasty seasonal rash on my hands every summer for years, I bought an Aloe plant and the gel will stop the itch, burn, swelling in minutes. I hear it is great for sunburn as well.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: aloe and water| Next thread: Aloe help needed »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: