The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Re: Cranberry Relish Recipe

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Re: bugs| Next thread: re: cuttings »
Back to Thread index
by 4Ruddy on November 20, 2004 08:17 PM
Here is lesson 101 on cranberry relish (I am laughing)
Basic cranberry relish is pretty much just cranberries and oranges ground together, throw in some sugar and chill. THEN....you take that basic recipe and can go a million different directions adding whatever you like...celery, apples, pecans, almonds...it is even popular to add grapefruit( [Razz] which I personally dislike)Then you can start dressing it up with a "dressing" such as 8oz cream cheese and 1 cup sour cream to a cup of relish.
If it cranberry "sauce" that you prefer...a good one is the berry peach sauce...
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 16oz can peach slices
1 cup light(white) raisins
1 tsp grated orange peel
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1cup water
1 6oz can frozen orange juice, thawed
1 cup sugar
combine first 6 ingredients in a sauce pan and bring slowly to a boil...cook and stir 15 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer 30 - 35 minutes until thick, stirring frequantly to prevent sticking. Cool, cover and chill.
You can spice that recipe up by adding cinnamon, ginger or ground cloves (my favorite)
After that has chilled...to go more for a "salad" start mixing in your favorites...celery, apples, manderin oranges bananas...etc...then add to the slightly set jello of your choice to mold! The possibilities are endles...and the great thing is this is a do~ahead dish...I just add something different or do a different dressing each year for variaty.

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Merme on November 21, 2004 05:40 AM
Hi Vanessa ~ [wayey]

Thanks so much! These recipes sound terrific and I can't wait to try them. [thumb] Just what we need to liven up our holiday table.

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by 4Ruddy on November 21, 2004 07:42 AM
You are very welcome...I just love to do different things and try new recipes. I make an effort to try one new recipe every week. No one ever knows what to expect when they come to my house for dinner! [grin]

-
 -

by Merme on November 21, 2004 02:16 PM
Yes, it is a wonderful thing to be able to cook and to have successful experiments in the kitchen. I love pleasing family and guests with good food and memorable meals.

At the moment, I'm still not allowed to use my big oven or stove top, so I've been making do with the microwave, toaster oven and electric griddle. Also I recently was given a crock pot for my birthday, the large oval kind,and I'm learning how to use it. Having small appliances on the counter that I can safely access from the wheelchair is a big benefit now that my son is home with me again and I am well enough to be cooking some things. It is also a wonderful thing that little Maxi loves to cook and is quite handy in the kitchen.

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by linda12159 on November 21, 2004 03:17 PM
Thank You Vanessa, I guess a little imagination goes a long way......I just needed a push. I Love all those ideas and will certainly try one. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Linda [thumb] [clappy]
by 4Ruddy on November 21, 2004 07:17 PM
I now it will be a BIG hit! A little imagination DOES go a long way. I rarely ever follow a recipe exactly (sometimes it gets me in trouble)but most of the time the result are fun. Both of my sons are wonderful cooks and they have BIG imaginatons...so we come up with some real doozies sometimes. My oldest is teaching his wife how to cook...I just thought that was a hoot! I taught the cake decorating class at the college here and they asked me to do a class for Kids College that they have during the summer. I was scared to death! A bunch of 8 ~ 12 yr olds with FROSTING...OMG. It ends up that I learn more from them and always have more fun. They are so creative and the boys ALWAYS do better in the classes. [thumb]

-
 -

by linda12159 on November 23, 2004 05:58 PM
How wonderful!! Wish i could have taken your class. I'm a much better cook than baker. Baking is so percise, cooking is much more imagination, (for me, anyways)! I'm so lucky that my John isn't fussy!! He's like my little genuie pig. I'm always trying new stuff. But when it comes to baking, well, I'm a little shy!
Linda
by 4Ruddy on November 23, 2004 06:47 PM
Just jump right in there and you will love it! What's the worst thing that could happen? I didn't even know how to make a rose or have any cake decorating classes and I bought a BAKERY!!!! How crazy is that? I guess I do better under pressure. [dunno] That was 17 years ago..it's funny...now! [Big Grin]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Re: bugs| Next thread: re: cuttings »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: