The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

cyclamen

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: cuttings wilting already!?| Next thread: Cyclamen »
Back to Thread index
by phoenix on July 01, 2005 06:31 AM
the leaves of my cyclamen plant are turning yellow. no drooping or getiing mushy just yellowing. it's not recieving any more light than normal, and i have not changed the way i water it. i water it from the bottom. i've had this plant for quite a while now and it has been producing flowers since i bought it. is the yellowing a normal thing? i know they do different things depending on the season. so i wasnt sure if maybe it was getting ready to hybernate or something like that.
thanx for any info

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by gardengal on July 01, 2005 06:59 AM
Hi there,
My cyclamen does this every once in a while too. They do go through a dormant stage. Here's more info.. cyclamen tipsheet

I have found that mine prefers it when its cooler out. When it starts to get really hot I put it in the shade and give it water but it usually still turns a little yellow and looks sad, then as soon as it cools down again it pops right back up. I love it at Christmas when its blooming away while everything else is sleeping. [thumb]

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by tkhooper on July 03, 2005 06:22 PM
I killed one of those very quickly. But then I can say that about a lot of plants. I hope your perks back up.

-
 -
by Will Creed on July 04, 2005 07:19 AM
Let the soil dry out. That will not keep the leaves from yellowing, but it will help it go into dormancy until the cooler weather returns.

I advise against bottom watering a Cyclamen. It is too easy to keep the soil too wet for too long using that method. I know the conventional wisdom says don't wet the corm out of which the leaf stems grow, but that is not a problem as long as it is potted correctly and the soil is porous and drains well.
by Flowers4ever on July 04, 2005 11:00 PM
I think the yellowing leaves is normal because I have 4 of them and even with the few yellowing leaves, the plants are still producing new leaves and still blooming. I have 4 different colored ones. I love them!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: cuttings wilting already!?| Next thread: Cyclamen »
Back to Thread index