The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Desert Rose

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: deodor Cedar??| Next thread: Desert Rose »
Back to Thread index
by justaninstrument on June 28, 2005 08:34 AM
Hello all,
A few months ago I bought a Desert Rose (adenium obejum). Now according to what I have read online it is normal after blooming for it to loose it's leaves and go into a rest period. My question is is there anything I should do at this point. Should I cut back the green stems, stop watering? Any help would be great. I really like this plant and I want it to do well.

May Mother Nature shine warmly on your gardens

Terry
by Will Creed on June 28, 2005 10:11 AM
Hi Terry,

Desert Rose (Adenium obesum) is a succulent member of the Oleander family. (Note: Oleander family member plants are poisonous to pets and children.) In fact, many desert roses are actually grafted onto an oleander before they are sold. The grafted version will grow faster and produce more flowers. The non-grafted form has a bulbous, water-storing stem at the base (called a caudex). The grafted desert rose has a long, thin stem with a grafting lump higher up on the stem.

Desert rose must be in direct sun all year round if you want it to flower. That pretty much limits it to an unobstructed south-facing window.

In winter, desert rose has a dormant period during which it should be allowed to dry completely and kept in cool temps (55 to 60 degrees). It will shed most of its leaves during dormancy so don’t be alarmed. In the spring, resume normal watering and fertilize sparingly.

Flowers usually appear in April and again in September. In late fall, as the light decreases, leaves will start to drop. That is a signal that it is going into its dormant period.

Grafted desert roses can withstand warmer temps in winter and should be fertilized a bit more frequently.
by Cricket on July 02, 2005 04:13 AM
Will,

If desert roses require year round direct sun to bloom, is it a waste of time trying them in the PacNW where it rains all winter? Will they tolerate little sun during dormancy?
by Will Creed on July 02, 2005 10:01 PM
Hi Cricket,

I am depressed just reading your description of PacNW winter weather!

I never say never, but I would have to say that the odds are against good desert rose flowering in your location. However, given your relatively mild climate, perhaps you can keep one outside longer and that might be enough to make up for the lack of indoor winter light.

Why don't you try one and report back to the rest of us on your success or lack thereof.
by Nako on July 03, 2005 01:35 AM
I live in zone 4 and mine blooms [Smile] I keep mine inside in a sunny window ^.^

~Phoebe

P.S. I remember when i first joined the forum and Mr. Creed gave me the exact same answer on how to care for one lol. It started losing its leaves, and that's cuz i was taking too much care of it >.o so i started neglecting it, i water it once every other week or so, and its got new leaves, new branches, and a neat-o flower on the end of one branch [Big Grin]

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Cricket on July 03, 2005 02:07 AM
quote:
I would have to say that the odds are against good desert rose flowering in your location.
quote:
Why don't you try one and report back to the rest of us on your success or lack thereof.

My thoughts exactly! [thumb]
by Will Creed on July 03, 2005 06:20 AM
Thanks for letting me know that, Phoebe. Amazing what a little benign neglect can do sometimes!

Go for it Cricket and good luck!

Will

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: deodor Cedar??| Next thread: Desert Rose »
Back to Thread index