The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peonies & Snow

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by tkhooper on March 22, 2006 11:02 PM
The peonies were comming up very well, and then it snowed. Now they are all bent over and wilted looking. Are they dead? If so someone please hand me a hanky, I'm going to need it.

-
 -
by murphyette on March 22, 2006 11:56 PM
I bet they will be fine, maybe just won't bloom as spectacular as they would have w/o the snow trauma.

Jody
by tkhooper on March 23, 2006 12:10 AM
Thanks Jody,

I love peonies and these are the first ever that I have grown. It's only their second year in the ground so I'm not getting blooms yet but I was so afraid that it might kill them. I'm so glad to hear that they will recover. Thank you again.

-
 -
by peppereater on March 23, 2006 01:50 AM
tk...once they recover, you may need to support them...the blooms are so heavy on some that they fall over.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by tkhooper on March 23, 2006 11:04 PM
I will definitely put up a little cage for them when they get old enough to bloom. Maybe if I'm lucky that will be next year 2007. Thank you for the information and support. I think these flowers are well worth waiting for.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 24, 2006 12:17 PM
Tammy,
Peonies are hardy up to growing zone 2..
so, they should be ok...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by comfrey on March 24, 2006 01:03 PM
The peonies will not die because of the snow, But as mentioned they may not bloom as nice as they could have. Mine bloomed good the second year, mine are just starting to come up.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: