The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Poor Poor Aloe :(

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: my poor pachira!| Next thread: My poor rose bush »
Back to Thread index
by ShannonM022 on September 27, 2004 09:13 PM
I have a aloe plant and the plant itself isnt bigger than my hand and I have it in a fairly big pot so it will grow. Well when I first got it, it was doing great and it was big. Well now it has grown new baby leaves and the bigger leaves have all fell off. And now the actually plant doesnt want to stand up, and it looks like the whole entire aloe is dying?? And its getting smaller and smaller, I dont over water it so I dont believe that is the problem. Do you know why all the leaves are falling off, even the new ones. Could it be the season change???
by Reu on September 30, 2004 12:48 AM
What size pot is it? You might want to try putting it into a smaller pot. If the pot's too large a few things can happen: the roots can't get to the water and the plant will die or the soil will stay too wet and rot the roots.

Reu

Roses are red
Violets are blue
but they don't get around
like the dandelions do...
by loz on September 30, 2004 06:48 AM
Yep, exactly what reu said...they like to actually be kept in a smallish pot.......I learned this after my first aloe plant died...first one I had I thought the bigger the pot, the better......hope that it pulls through.
by ShannonM022 on October 01, 2004 05:01 PM
Oh NO!!! Its a good size pot, probably a lot bigger than what it needs. I didnt know they liked to be in smaller pots. I figured if I got a big pot then it would have plenty of room to grow. I will have to get a smaller pot, how about one of those terracotta pots? Do I need to get one with the drain pan under the pot so I can fill that up??
by aloes on October 02, 2004 06:22 PM
I can imagine how you feel about your plant. if it is loosing new leaves the heart is rotting. the plant will have to dry out before you repot.dust it with an anti-fungus. leave it in a dry place out of direct sun until it shows new roots. an aloe does not die as result of drought, they die easy from water. be brave and let new roots form before you repot. pull on the young leaves, if they come out try and remove all mushy stuff. dust with anti-fungus. if you have a piece of stem left you are fine. aloes do not root on leaves but on the stem. it will form a new crown/rosette. wishing you luck

seeds, information and photos of more than 30 different aloes

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: my poor pachira!| Next thread: My poor rose bush »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: