The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Malva

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Making your own plant-food?| Next thread: Mammoth Sunflowers! »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 12:33 AM
Here is a picture of the Malva & Larkspur that accidently got planted in the same space. Which just goes to show I'm not horrible bright. I'm suprised that the larkspur is hanging in there since it is suppose to be full sun and these plants aren't getting anywhere that much sun.

They will be going outside over then next few days to harden. I hope the larkspur can handle it. I'm pretty sure the malva can. One of them is pushing itself out of the container. I guess because they have such long tap roots.

-

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 08, 2006 01:14 AM
They look pretty nice...

Question, do you intend to leave them together or pull apart???

You could take the plant/pot and soak it in like a clean dish pan thing.. pull it out of the container, and let it just sit there..

After a real good soaking, swish the dirt off of the plant in the water.. with them being young enough, the plants should be able to take a good seperating and still survive..

And then re~pot both in seperate containers!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by alankhart on March 08, 2006 02:26 AM
The only problem is that annual larkspur does not transplant well and you may lose it.

-
 -
 -
by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 02:33 AM
Oh dear, I didn't know that the larkspur doesn't transplant well. That probably means I'll loose it. Grrrrh.

Well I do have to separate them because the larkspur is slated for the front containers that are in full sun and the Malva is slated for the shady slope in the back garden.

I guess all I can do is hope. If the larkspur don't make it I guess I can replace them with the celosia. They are shorter but have so many pretty colors that they should still show through. Of course that would through the color scheme out the window lol.

Thanks for the information Alan. At least now I'll be prepared for the loss if it happens.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 08, 2006 03:42 AM
You know, somethings... listed as "hard to transplant" or "dislikes transplanting" can be very difficult to transplant, because, manyyyyyyy
transplant hap~hazzardly.....

I have moved some things.. foxgloves, who go into a depression I swear when you move them, but I give them a good foliar feed of a 10~60~10 fertilizer, and AHEAD OF THE MOVE, like a day or two.. that gives them a store of food for themselves, while they are slulking...
Then transplant and give another soaking...

And I do this ONLY when they are young, I don't transplant older one's... they are toooooo set in their ways...****and root system that really doesn't take to moving well, because their root system/tap root is so deep and once snapped, they do most often die..****

Soooo, maybe if she does do that way of moving them, taking the pot/container and make up some of that fertilizer, and soak the plant, and actually, right in there too, when you keep the plant and it's roots, right inside the water..
the roots will more than likely tenderly remove the soil and not put so much stress on them..
and repot quickly and then re~water with that same water and let it even sit, part of a day with the liq.fert......

Then that way, it's fed, and not soooooooooo shocked..

I personally have never moved or transplanted larkspur... I think I've grown it once.. many, many moons ago... so I can't say this is true 100%, but it may be worth a try....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 07:09 AM
Well I can tell one thing already. The larkspur doesn't even like the hardening off process. Talk about a sulky little thing. Hopefully it will adjust. But I have lots of plants if it decides that it just can't handle it.

And yes I have started the fertilization process to help reduce the transplant shock. I remember you teaching several of us about that last year. That's one of the reasons why I'm expecting much better results this year than last.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 08, 2006 07:22 AM
What are your temps down that way???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 07:47 AM
50's now 60's come thursday.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 08, 2006 09:18 PM
Yeah, it's kinda hard going from a 70*' house or 80/90* greeenhouse out to 50's and 60's...
I would be in shock too!!!

Keep us posted on how that larkspur does...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by alankhart on March 08, 2006 11:07 PM
If you have more larkspur seeds try planting them in the ground now. They prefer cooler temps to germinate and do soooo much better when planted directly in the ground. They also reseed like crazy so you may never have to plant again.

-
 -
 -
by peppereater on March 08, 2006 11:47 PM
Mine reseed like crazy...I have dug some to give away. Never thought of them as hard to transplant, but I can see how the older ones wouldn't like that.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by tkhooper on March 09, 2006 01:10 AM
That sounds like a plan. I'll grab some seeds and do that. I know pretty much exactly where I want them.

-
 -
by dodge on March 09, 2006 09:06 AM
I NEVER SAW A MALVA, BUT THE ROUND LEAVES LOOK LIKE MY GERANIUMS.?????????????

GOOD LUCK..SOME
DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by tkhooper on March 09, 2006 10:06 PM
Yep they do look alike in the leave department. Except these are suppose to get really tall and the bloom is very different.

-
 -
by SeptemberMorn on March 11, 2006 02:09 PM
Ok, I know I'm gonna sound really idiodic here, but that Malva looks like a weed that grows around here! We've never left it alone long enough to watch it bloom, but... could your Malva and mine be one in the same?? [dunno]

http://photobucket.com/albums/y103/SeptMorn/
by Patty S on March 11, 2006 02:44 PM
SeptemberMorn, nobody sounds idiodic around here... or, maybe we ALL do & it's so normal that nobody notices! There is also no such thing as a dumb question here... & if there IS, there are probably a bunch of people who were afraid to ask! One way or another, somebody is very likely to come along & offer up an intelligent answer!

This is my first year with Melva seeds, because Jimmy sent me some from Texas a few weeks ago, so I can't answer your question. I'll make a wild guess though, & say that if they grow in Texas, they just very well might be what you have there in Ventura!

Stick around... somebody is likely to come up with a picture. (Or, maybe YOU have a picture of it that you'd like to share! We love pictures here!)

Instructions for how to post pictures is found in "Member Benefits", & if you have any problems figuring it out, send a Private Message to a Hostess, by clicking on the little envelope at the top of one of their posts.)

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 11, 2006 08:11 PM
September Morn,
Patty's right, there is no such thing as an idiotic question, *maybe only one that isn't asked* We enjoy helping others with plants, and their care, growing and learning about them...

We all were beginers at some point, and there's beginers to master gardener's here, that all still like to help, in some form or another around here, with plants to life...

[teacher] [critic] Also, did you know that all the flowers we grow basically came from weeds...
Just that breeders reconize traits of them, and breed *hybridize* them, and grow the good traits, and "weed out" the bad one's. (pardon the pun)

But those that Tammy is growing is a cousin to the one's you probably have growing around your yard...
I'll find you a pick of mine and post them, and see if they match up for you...

[teacher] Did you know that even the Hollyhock is a cousin to those "weeds" in your backyard. [shocked]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on March 11, 2006 08:15 PM
Okay, here's the Zebrina one I think Tammy is growing??
 -
and here's the wild cousins I let grow in my yard..
 -

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on March 11, 2006 10:05 PM
I have both the Zebrina and the Braveheart if I read the labels right. I'll know for sure after they bloom lol. It's my first year for them. I was looking for a flower that would handle shade and drought conditions and this is one that I ran across.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 11, 2006 10:09 PM
Those two almost look alike..
The braveheart looks a little more darker purple.
and the zebrina looks little more pinker purple...

The one's I have above, that are pale pink/purple and white one's are the wild "road side" one's..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by SeptemberMorn on March 13, 2006 06:26 AM
Patty, thank you so much. It's just that what I've read and seen, OMG! I haven't found anyone that is such a novice as I am! I've got a green thumb, that's all! LOL

Today, I promise, I'm bringing out my camera and having it always at the ready! Something else I'm going to do is allow my Melva to grow! Mine looks more like the wild ones in the pic.

Weezie, my goodness! I took a look at your pics on Photobucket! My head is hung in shame... Like I said, I know Nahtink! All I've got is a green thumb.

Yeah, I knew that most flowers had their origins in weeds, even the rose! I couldn't believe it when my late FIL told me that the clover looking stuff with little yellow flowers I'd been pulling like crazy was purposely grown as a ground cover! It's really pretty!

Know what? That wild Melva is exactly what grows "like a weed" in my yard! LOL I'll post pictures as soon as I take some. hehe

TKHooker, yep! They like neglect! I transplanted some in a pot basically to feed my rabbit (my automatic fertilizer machine). It got really sickly looking for a while. I haven't done anything to it and today, when I went out to make my inspections, three little leaves are standing proud and tall! I can see now that I'll have to have more than one pot! LOL Heck! I might just let it grow where it wants.

Thanks to all of you. You guys are GREAT! I'm not going anywhere. [Smile]

http://photobucket.com/albums/y103/SeptMorn/
by Tonka on March 14, 2006 05:13 AM
I bought a half-dozen malva transplants several years ago and planted them in an East facing bed where they thrived, growing about four and a half feet tall and flowering beautifully. I was delighted! The next year, however, my delight dissipated when I discovered that the bed was over-run with seedlings! Malva is NOT a tidy plant! And although it's pretty, I've been trying to get rid of it with little success for several years now. It is very weed-like!

"To err is human, to purr is feline." -- Robert Byrne
by weezie13 on March 14, 2006 06:13 AM
Tonka,
If you put lot's of compost on that area..
You may loosen up the soil enough to where
they/the roots will come up very easily..
and if you make sure the soil is moist
that will help alot too!!!

And the babies, pull out very easily for me,
in my raised bed that has very loose soil...
So, I pull out what I don't want....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Tonka on March 14, 2006 06:51 AM
quote:
And the babies, pull out very easily for me,
in my raised bed that has very loose soil...
So, I pull out what I don't want....
True, but: Talk about a "will to survive!" No kidding: It's been a good five years since I let the original plants go to seed and I'm still waging war with the seedlings! It seems that I just get the area "cleaned up" and then along comes a shower and there they are! Back again! Thousands (well, maybe hundreds) of the little [flower] [flower] [flower] [flower] er's smiling back up at me! I guess I should just let them naturalize and stop my whining. But accepting defeat doesn't come easily! [Smile]

"To err is human, to purr is feline." -- Robert Byrne
by weezie13 on March 14, 2006 07:18 AM
quote:
Talk about a "will to survive!"
That is the true nature of WEEDS, isn't it...
and tenacity.. holy cow...
wish I had half their stanima sometimes,
don't you!?!?!?!?!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Fernie on March 14, 2006 07:34 AM
I wanted some Malva Zebrina and Triss sent me some seeds that she got from someone else. Anyay I was checking my seed trays this morning and was shocked to see 6 - 2 inch tall malva seedlings all sprouted up all ready. They must sprout fast.

However my mini snap dragons haven't done anything yet (I planted both sets of seeds a week ago). How are yours doing Tammy? Did the pink seeds that I sent sprout for you? I am doing a big container different colors of the mini snapdragons. They are so hardy and last year they bloomed twice.

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by tkhooper on March 15, 2006 12:42 AM
I didn't get any of our mini snapdragon seeds to sprout. I did get the ones I bought from burpees to sprout but the foliage doesn't look the same so I'm not sure what I've got going here. But they are suppose to me a mixture of colors so when I get seeds I'll send you a group of them.
Oh, and some of the miniature snapdragons from last year actually survived our very mild winter. They haven't bloomed yet but I've started fertilizing them so hopefully they will. Wouldn't that be cool?

I've missed you by the way. I haven't had a chance to tell you that I got a nice sage green table cloth for the new table I got (new to me that is). And I am crocheting an orange table cloth to go over the top. It looks really cool but the lack of light precludes me getting a picture.

-
 -
by Fernie on March 15, 2006 03:30 AM
oh goody decorating! I am excited! Let me know how it goes!

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by dodge on March 20, 2006 06:45 AM
SeptemberMorn
You could call all flowers a weed.......
My man says..........haha
he also says a rabbit is just a Rat with different ears........Knowing I like rabbits.. They makes me feel yucky.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Making your own plant-food?| Next thread: Mammoth Sunflowers! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: