The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

ALOE | Broken Leaves

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Aloe| Next thread: Aloe & Snake Plant ? »
Back to Thread index
by koway99 on September 11, 2004 07:11 AM
I have repotted my two aloe plants and they are doing fine, but in the process, a few leaves broke off. I had put thme in water for a day, but I don't believe that is how the roots will grow. How do I help these plants grow roots so that I may repot them into new pots? Any ideas?
by ritchie902 on September 15, 2004 10:03 PM
hey, i not positive but i'm pretty sure you can't root aloe leaves. maybe. but the way an aloe propagates itself is actually at the base of a mature plant. new plants will start popping up in the soil around the mature plant. you just wait til the new plants are a few inches tall then dig down and disconnect the new plant from the mature one. hope this helps.
by Reu on September 15, 2004 11:00 PM
My understanding is very much in line with ritchie's (sorry if I spelled that wrong). I did come across something that says to let the leaf 'dry'(form a callous at the cut) for 2 days before putting it in a just dampmisture of soil and sand at room temperature.

I'm not sure how effective this is, but it's worth a shot...

ta!
Reu

Roses are red
Violets are blue
but they don't get around
like the dandelions do...
by Sami on September 22, 2004 07:31 AM
No, aloe won't root in water but if you let it callous then put it in soil, that helps it to not take in too much water. Aloe don't like a whole lot of water and will lose color & eventually die if overwatered for too long.

-
Talentless but connected.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Aloe| Next thread: Aloe & Snake Plant ? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: