The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HOW DOES ONE MARK A MARKER/

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: How do you stop erosion??| Next thread: How far back can I prune? »
Back to Thread index
by dodge on March 06, 2006 09:16 AM
HOPE I AM IN THE CORRECT PLACE?

MY QUESTION.. I PUT MARKERS OUTSIDE AND WRITE THE NAMES ON THEM WITH MAJIC MARKER.. AND THEY DISAPPEAR FROM THE SUN AND RAIN.. (THE WRITING, OF COURSE)..
[Big Grin]
WHAT TYPE OF MARKER DO YOU FOLKS SUGGEST? I HAVE SO MANY LOVELY PLANTS GROWING, AND NEED TO LABEL THEM ..... [Cool]

THANKS........
DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Jiffymouse on March 06, 2006 09:57 AM
a sharpie marker with tape over the writing will last a good long while.
by mike57 on March 06, 2006 10:19 AM
aluminum pie plates cut into strips work great for marking plants.use a pen or a pointed stick to put the name on it.it leaves a impression in the aluminum so you can read it.hope this helps you.your friend in gardening.mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by patches1414 on March 06, 2006 11:27 AM
Yes, the Sharpie Permanent Markers are a must and the printing stays on for a long time. [thumb]

Another thing that I've found works great for a plant marker is to collect the disposable plastic knives when we have a picnic, then I write on the handle and put the other end in the ground. [Smile]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by melcon6 on March 06, 2006 11:58 AM
I use exterior paint and paint on small rocks, I got a pic floating around here somewhere. Let me see if I can drag it up.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by tkhooper on March 06, 2006 09:56 PM
I bought a bunch of shims and a wood burner. Now my markers stay marked. But I know what you mean about disappearing ink.

-
 -
by dodge on March 07, 2006 02:34 AM
[clappy]
THANKS..EVERY ONE WINS.
NOW Jiffemouse. what type of tape? Scotch?
MIKE....so clever, aluminum and pen to press on it.....
PATCHES...plastic knives.. good idea.. I am using forks for stakes right now.;o)
MELON..ROCKS .. REALLY ROCK ME .. WE HAVE MANY.
What do you write with>
TKHOOPER..What are shims? Explain.. How do you write on them?
THANK YOU, ALL THE ABOVE.. GOOD IDEAS INDEED.

[Love]
DODGE

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 07, 2006 03:01 AM
Shims are pieces of wood that are narrow on the bottom and wider on top. You can ask for them at lowes or home depot. You can get a bunch for very little cost. I wrote on them using the fine wood burning tip. So the came of the plant is burned into the wood. That way I never have to worry about it fading away. I suppose I could have used fancier wood but I have little money and shims are very cheap.

-
 -
by dodge on March 07, 2006 05:06 AM
TK

SOUNDS GOOD.......NOW MY WOOD BURNER IS BROKE..
[Eek!]
lIKE THEY SAY, CAN'T WIN THEM ALL.
mAYBE I CAN INVENT A PAINT PEN. TAKE A BASTER
AN FILL IT WITH PAINT.......NOW WHO CAN TELL ME HOW TO MAKE IT SMALLER AT THE BOTTOM LIKE A PEN?
MAYBE I CAN ATTACH AN ICING TUBE OF SOME SORT .. OR MAYBE A PLASTIC TUBE OUT OF A SPRAY BOTTLE???

[thumb]
tHANKS
Tk

DODGE IS DREAMING OUT LOUD. [kitty]

-
 -
by alankhart on March 07, 2006 05:24 AM
I like the shim idea...I'll have to get me a wood burner. I have the same problem with the ink disappearing.
I volunteer at the University garden here and I have access to the machine that writes on metal plant markers, so I made some for my really special plants.

-
 -
 -
by Jiffymouse on March 07, 2006 07:02 AM
i use clear packing tape. sticks better/longer
by dodge on March 07, 2006 08:23 AM
Thanks Jiffy

One neighbor puts all the tags into a plastic bag and ties it........eek.
I am hunting short cuts......

doge

-
 -
by mike57 on March 07, 2006 12:59 PM
they make a paint pen or paint marker.they are sold in many stores but the best bet to find them is some place they sell plastic model cars.they will be in the model car paint section.and they come in many colors.i have some here but have never thought to use them to mark plants.guess i will have to give it a try.

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by dodge on March 07, 2006 11:55 PM
Thanks Mike,

I will hunt for a place like that.. I thought we had some here, years ago......But didnt know if they still existed......

dodge

-
 -
by dodge on March 09, 2006 04:55 AM
[clappy]
TODAY'S LITTLE MIRACLE.....
[thumb]
I STORE I SHOPPED AT this store, it had 200 colored cheerio type sticks, for a dollar........i got those ,
and think I can write on them with pen and pencil.. Hope the dye doesnt run..;o)

dodge ..thanks again, gang..(you have a nice place here)

-
 -
by DragonYoga on March 10, 2006 09:14 PM
ooo the shims thing sounds like a good idea! Since I plan to have a perfectly extravagrant garden [flower] [flower] [flower] I suppose I'll have to get something like that! [lala]

Love As Thou Wilt
by tkhooper on March 10, 2006 09:34 PM
If it's going to be extravagent I'd think rotary tool and do a cut out for the names and then stain it real nice. If you painted them black they would look like wrought iron. Wouldn't that be cool. But it sure would take some time. Of course it would make a great winter project.

-
 -
by Francine on March 11, 2006 03:56 AM
hi,

happened to me also...i guess that s why they call it a magic marker!

thanks for posting this queation.

Franny

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/
by Mothman on March 13, 2006 12:40 AM
A china marking crayon works well and will not fade or wash away
by Jiffymouse on March 13, 2006 11:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mothman:
A china marking crayon works well and will not fade or wash away
but be careful with the china markers, they smudge.
by slredmond on March 25, 2006 08:11 AM
I finally found my paint marker (like Mike mentioned). It's called "Brite Mark valve action paint marker," and it's actually paint not ink like a Sharpie, so it really lasts. It says manufactured by Mark-Tex, Olatha, KS. It also has the name Dykem on it. I've been very happy with it.

Sandy R.
by dodge on March 25, 2006 10:19 AM
sandy....

Where did you find the marker/

we used to have some with Paint.. Cannot find one now..
Thanks
Dodge

-
 -
by slredmond on March 25, 2006 06:33 PM
At my local Horrocks; it's a mid-sized family business here in Michigan. They have an incredible plant nursery, gift area and small grocery with unique stuff. Don't know if they have them in PA. BUT - here you go! http://www.durablesupply.com/britemark40.html

Sandy R.
by dodge on March 27, 2006 08:37 AM
Sandra,

thanks for the info......Looks like a great item. But no Horrocks store here in Penna.

It is even hard to find a Hardware store in our area....Don't know why? I guess walmarts and Lowes have replaced them??????/

[dunno]
I am still looking.......One hates to shop online, because of the postage.

Thanks alot.

dodge

-
 -
by kyjoy on March 31, 2006 06:28 AM
Over the years I have tried everything from cheap to expensive. This year I decided to use flat rocks and acrylic paint (green). If the name is too long for a rock, I use firewood and paint the name on it. Both work well in my garden as it has been declare a Natural Wildlife Habitat.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: How do you stop erosion??| Next thread: How far back can I prune? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: