The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

star jasmine

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by chris93 on March 04, 2006 08:05 AM
I live in north central Florida.We just had a few nights of frost.The star jasmine looks dead.Is it dead or do I need to cut it back or what do I need to do?

Chris
by peppereater on March 04, 2006 08:27 AM
Sometimes doing nothing is best...I don't recall which zone star jasmine is hardy to, but I'm thinking it can tolerate some frost. It may just be damaged, not dead. Let's see if others here have your answer...

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by RugbyHukr on March 05, 2006 12:29 AM
The leaves may be damaged and can be pruned. The roots should be fine to grow new leaves.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Jiffymouse on March 06, 2006 09:52 AM
ditto rugbyhukr. it will be fine. i'm farther north than you and mine does ok.
by robdds on March 07, 2006 02:09 AM
I have the same problem in NC. My jasmine is brown and the leaves look dead. Someone told me that it will be fine and they thought their's was dead and cut it back to the ground and it never grew back the same. Let's both cross our fingers and hope for the best!
by angelblossom on March 07, 2006 08:57 AM
I have a star jasmine and we had below freezing temps a couple of weeks a go and yes some of the leaves look bad but I always wait untill the weather no longer threatens freezing temps and prune it back atleast 2 leave nodes beyond the damage give it a good dose of "superthrive" (per directions) and If I'm out of that I give it a good watering with egg shell water and it bounces back happily.... alot of plants like it including house plants I usually will use it or superthrive for the first Fertililzing of the spring

If you can handle the smell Here's the reciepe for egg shell water...

Eggshells of 6 eggs
Put in oven for 15 minutes @300 Degrees
Then stuff them into a 1 gallon water jug
Fill the jug w/ hot water ,place cap on, and let it sit in the sun for 1 week
shake the jug vigorously and water your star jasmine bi weekley for 2 months
The only time it really smell is when you have them in the oven and when you first open the cap after sitting for a week

[shocked] [lala] but my jasmine seems to like it as well as my house plant.. A friend of mine's mother did this then she did and she got me doing it .. Hey what ever works!! [thumb] [flower]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by DragonYoga on March 11, 2006 07:14 PM
I'm assuming that the eggs are raw when you take the shells for that recipe?

Love As Thou Wilt

Active Garden Forum