The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

jade plant help please

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by pmkramer on September 07, 2004 08:29 PM
Hello all. I have recently been given a jade plant for a birthday present and it is beautiful. Lately, a lot of the leaves have been falling off on their own. I was watering it quite a bit at first, but the soil was usually dry each time I watered it. I can't really tell, but I think the plant stalk is turning a brownish tint. I cut off a bit and it still looks green and healthy inside. I have been keeping it inside in relatively low light. Before the leaves fall, they usually turn a brighter shade of greenish yellow and then just drop. Can anyone help?

PK
by catlover on September 07, 2004 08:52 PM
Hopefully someone will come along with an answer for you but here is a page Bill has written up. Bill's page on Jade's

I have a few Jades but they are in the ground outside in full sun.....and the other babies are in partial shade til they get bigger. Then I will slowly move them out into the direct sun and plant in the ground.
[kitty]

-
 -
 -
by 2grnthumbs on September 18, 2004 06:33 PM
hello....i recently got a jade plant and am having the same problem, however the card that came with my plant said to keep it in bright sunlight, and before u water it, just stick ur finger into the soil to make sure that it is dry the whole way through. root rot with a jade is a sad, sad thing to watch. however, if u do fear root rot, u can always clip off branches right where they go from brown to green, stick them in soil, and with a lil TLC and not too much water they will grow roots, as long as the root rot has not made it's way throughout the whole plant. i hope this helps you! [flower]
by ladybogue on September 20, 2004 07:31 AM
Hello,

I had the same kind of problem with my newly bought jade, couple of months ago. It size is about 30cm X 30cm, so even if I was watering when it seems dry, it wasn't at the bottom of the pot (my finger is too short [Razz] ).

Well, that's what I learned when I get an Hydrometer (that cost less than 10$ canadian with the taxes...). This is useful, and now that I am watering just when it is really dry, there is no more leaves falling and it looks great.

If you don't want to buy the thing, use a wooden stick for the bbq brochette or kabob. Useful to check the bottom of the pot if it is to big.

Hope that will help.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: