The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Syngonium(Arrowhead Vine) Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Syngonium| Next thread: syringa vulgaris »
Back to Thread index
by pcgrav on May 27, 2005 12:50 AM
[teacher] O.K. All my gardening buddies--educate me... I need some help. I have looked on here and cannot find anything about my afore mentioned plant [Smile] . I need help. It developed a case of leaf spot bacteria so I cut off all the bad leaves like I was supposed to put it in some brand new soil and watered it carefully. I ended up with two stems one having 3 brand new leaves the other having 1 brand new leaf on it. It is still growing from the main root formation. Here's my question-- Should I clip these two stems and simply root them or leave it all where it is. Do you think there are too many roots on the bottom of the plant?? I was a faily nice sized plant. When I repotted it, it had more leaves but as they opened I found them infected so I removed them... What do you think??? [thinker] [thinker]

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by Will Creed on May 27, 2005 03:06 AM
Hi Tricia,

I am not sure I understand what it is that you did and why you want to cut and replant.

Unless you had a lab test done, then you don't know that the leaf spots are bacterial in origin. In fact, they probably are not.

Repotting ailing plants usually aggravates problems, especially if the pot is too big. Plants do best when their roots are hugged tight by the pot.

If you can post a photo or e-mail one to me at wcreed@horticulturalHelp.com, I might have a better understanding of the problem.
by Cricket on May 27, 2005 04:57 AM
quote:
Plants do best when their roots are hugged tight by the pot.

I, too, am considering repotting a plant - a ming - and would appreciate clarification on your statement.

Won't roots dry out too quickly in a tight pot? This ming means the world to me and I would hate to inadvertently damage its roots by potting it into a pot the wrong size. How does one determine the optimal pot size for a given plant?
by Will Creed on May 27, 2005 05:20 AM
Hi Cricket,

"Plants do best when their roots are hugged tight by the pot."

As in some other aspects of life, a tight fit promotes the best growth.

Don't we all like to be hugged?

How else can I elaborate on this subject?

Scientific research has demonstrated that optimum plant growth occurs when the rootball is 80% roots and only 20% soil. You would probably consider that terribly rootbound. Profesional growers do not.

You cannot tell if a plant needs a bigger pot by the way it looks. If your Ming can go several days or more between thoough waterings, then there is enough soil relative to the roots. If it ever reaches the point where you have to soak it every day or two, then you can move it up one pot size.

Yes, plants in small pots will dry out more quickly. But that is a GOOD thing! As the soil dries, it allows oxygen back into the root zone and roots must have oxygen to live. Soil that stays moist for too long is soil that will cause root rot because they are deprived of oxygen.

Tight pots rule!! So leave your prized Ming alone.

Any questions?

Will
by Cricket on May 27, 2005 05:30 AM
We do all like to be hugged!

I was judging pot size by appearance but as the Ming seems content in its current pot, I will leave it be. Thanks, Will! [kissies]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Syngonium| Next thread: syringa vulgaris »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: