The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Trillium

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Triangle Palm| Next thread: Trilliums »
Back to Thread index
by patches1414 on March 03, 2006 03:55 PM
Are any of you familar with Trillium. It's a native wildflower and loves shade, but I don't know if it's hardy for zone 5. [dunno] Anyone know???

Have a BEAUTIFUL day! [flower] [flower] [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by weezie13 on March 03, 2006 09:15 PM
Ooooooooooooh, yeah, it's hardy!!!
I think they are even hardy way up in to Canada..

They are sooooo pretty..
But in NY, it's against the law to pick them in the wild...

What kind are you looking at???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on March 03, 2006 09:19 PM
They have some kinds that you can buy. But the little white ones are endangered. From the catalogs I think the colored ones also are somewhat larger. Are you doing a shade garden?

-
 -
by Bill on March 03, 2006 09:28 PM
by weezie13 on March 03, 2006 09:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
They have some kinds that you can buy. But the little white ones are endangered.
Yes, you can buy alllllllll sorts of them..
White, Red, Pink, Checked one's and mottled ones'....

But all of them are endangered in the wild,
no matter the color..at least here in NY!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on March 03, 2006 11:38 PM
Weezie, where can you get the red, pink, checked and mottled ones'. I just found the the Trillium on the Michigan Bulb site and was surprised that they didn't specify a zone. As far as color, all they offered were Great White, Lemon, and Purple (whick was kinda speckled). I am always browsing through my catalogs looking for something to add color to my shade garden and I didn't even know these existed. [dunno] Oh, I would REALLY love to find some pink ones. [Love]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by weezie13 on March 03, 2006 11:40 PM
Um, off the top of my head..
I would say,
Brecks, DutchGardens,

BULB CATALOGS... do a google search and type in Bulb catalogs..
and then when you go to each one,
type in for their search, TRILLIUMS.

Let me know how you do..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ShirlS on March 03, 2006 11:42 PM
The white Trillium is hardy in zone five. I am not sure about the fancy varities though. Weezie is right, they are hardy right into Canada.

The trillium ( white) is Ontario's provincial flower. It grows wild up there in our forest. It is illegal to pick them there also.

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by tkhooper on March 03, 2006 11:44 PM
Wow, I didn't know they were all endangered. Thanks for telling me.

My next questions is: Do they dislike being transplanted? That's what I was told by the person who told me they were endangered. I found that out because the one we saw was right on the edge of the road and I mentioned maybe I better move it so someone didn't run over it. And I was told not to.

-
 -
by patches1414 on March 03, 2006 11:49 PM
Okay, thanks a bunch. [Wink] I'll check for bulb catalogs with Google and see what I can find. I just can't believe this flower has escaped my attention all these years. [tears]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 03, 2006 11:55 PM
We had wild one's where I grew up...
All over the woods..

I found some white one's growing here,
that everyone had kept mowing over...
I don't know how they survived...

I had about 4, now I have maybe 30????
I love 'em..

I just wish I'd gotten a couple of other colors to spring up around here too, but nooooooooo!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on March 04, 2006 01:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
Wow, I didn't know they were all endangered. Thanks for telling me.

My next questions is: Do they dislike being transplanted? That's what I was told by the person who told me they were endangered. I found that out because the one we saw was right on the edge of the road and I mentioned maybe I better move it so someone didn't run over it. And I was told not to.

Tammy, the person who told you not to move them??
So, they must be endangered for your state too..
*I wasn't sure how far it went or by which state*

I have never moved one, cause my parents told me never to dig them up...

I did pick one or two flowers, where there was a ton of them, so, one or two didn't endanger them more..
but if I ever saw a bunch of leaves, and only one or two flowers, I never touched them..
and mostly they were the white ones, cause there were alot of them.. it was the purplish/red one that was scarce...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on March 04, 2006 02:00 AM
Wheezie, I checked the places you suggested and did the google search but came up empty as far as the pink ones. I even clicked on the Spring Hill site which said, "Buy Trilliums and Save", but when I went to the site there were NO Trilliums of any kind or color. Go figure!!! Guess I will have to settle for the Great White, Lemon and Purple. [tears] At least, now I know they will be okay in my zone.

Thanks again!!! [flower] [flower] [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 04, 2006 02:43 AM
Okay, I knowwwwwwwww I've seenn them in my reading, but have been [perplexed] lately..
So, let me drag out the ole books *I read while I'm waiting for my kids to get out of school,
which I am heading out to do so in about 5 minutes..* so, I will take a peak and get back to you...*(if I go [perplexed] like this, do not hesitate to say, HEYYYYYY!!!)*
And I will let you know where I saw them... [thumb] [flower]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by netty on March 04, 2006 03:42 AM
I once heard that Trilliums need to grow for 15 years before they flower. If the flowers are picked they can take up to 7 years to bloom again.
My old neighbour once dug a clump out of the bush and moved it to her garden where they looked better every year...Gorgeous!! So I guess as long as you dig lots of root and don't break the stem they will be OK.

-
 -
by patches1414 on March 04, 2006 04:49 AM
Oh geesh, I'm too old to wait 15 years for them to bloom. [tears] The ones I was thinking of getting are from Michigan Blub and since their pictures show them with flowers, I just assumed they would bloom the same year I got them. Maybe I need to check this out some more before I order them.

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 04, 2006 04:51 AM
Okay, I found it, where I'd been looking and saw them..

Plants Delights Nursery and find the SEARCH,
type in Trillium, and there is four kinds..
and the leaves are mottled..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on March 04, 2006 04:54 AM
I know they take a while from SEED...

Not sure if you buy like a bareroot plant or a planted one in a 6pk???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on March 04, 2006 05:42 AM
Okay I checked Plants Delight and the flowers and the leaves on the ones at Michigan Bulbs look a little different and they are a lot cheaper. It says the purple one is bareroot, but the other two don't say, but I'm assuming that's true for them too. I guess if I order them I better ask if I have to wait 15 years for them to bloom. [Frown]

Thanks! [flower] [flower] [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 04, 2006 05:59 AM
Plants Delight is a little expensive,
but from what I understand is a quality place..
*if they do their business, like the do their catalog, they are top notch.. you could learn alot about plants from their sale catalog..
and it's fun..*
On the garden watch dog thingie, there is
113 positives, 14 neutrals, 17 negatives.

Now, if you do that for the Michigan bulbs,
There was 137 positives, 102 neutrals,
and 391 negatives [shocked]

You'll probably get a smaller plant...

but I am only guessing!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on March 04, 2006 07:08 AM
From what I've heard Michigan Bulbs is a place to stay away from. I thought about ordering from them at one point and changed my mind when I heard about the lousy service. I have enough trouble with things like that.

-
 -
by melcon6 on March 04, 2006 07:45 AM
I haven't had good luck with puny things from Michigan Bulb
[Razz]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by patches1414 on March 04, 2006 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the input about Michigan Bulbs. I encounter enough frustrations in my daily living without adding another one in my garden. [tears]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by tamara on March 05, 2006 10:43 AM
Hey, the white ones grow wild here. I've got thousands on my land. Can they be dug up and transplanted?

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by weezie13 on March 05, 2006 10:48 AM
I am not sure about Canada's laws with them being
on the endangered list???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ShirlS on March 05, 2006 12:35 PM
Tamara,

The white Trillium are a protected flower in Canada. I know there are definately a no no to pick in Ontario. I lived there for 24 yrs and was told that more than once. I am not 100% sure about NB but I think it is the case there also. I believe it is Canada wide. I could be wrong though. Here is a link that says they are protected.

Trillium

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Yann on March 06, 2006 01:03 AM
I have had white Trilliums for years in Toronto in heavy shade. They transplanted easily as I have moved, rearranged my garden and given extra's to friends.

If undisturbed, they duplicated every 2 years.

In Ontario, the law is that they can't be picked or taken from a provincial park, but not otherwise. Yet most people mistakenly think the law is that they can't be taken from anywhere. Perhaps the same misunderstanding of the law occurs elsewhere. I would rescue the plant growing by the side of the road.
by Yann on March 06, 2006 01:10 AM
I forgot to add that I have never heard of the 15 year delay in blooming. The duplicates bloomed in the second year.

The plants I purchased were in bloom but at a regular small perennial price -$5.00. If they had been raised for 15 years in a greenhouse the price would have been substantial.
by weezie13 on March 06, 2006 01:24 AM
quote:
I forgot to add that I have never heard of the 15 year delay in blooming.
I think it's from seed it takes a bit...

[teacher] It takes something like 1 to 3 years for the seeds to germinate. Then only one leaf appears and after a couple of years, three leaves finally appear. It is by the sixth or seventh year, the trillium finally blooms....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tamara on March 06, 2006 03:53 AM
Amazing, I'm sure I've ran over a thousand with the tractor last year. I'm a bad girl.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by weezie13 on March 06, 2006 04:02 AM
*insert finger wavin' gremalin here*
You gotta drive arounddddddddd them all next time..

I have read that if you pick the flower it won't exactly kill the plant, but when the flower can't go to seed, and take up to 7 years to start another seed, that is why they''re on the endangered list...*they don't produce like a dandelion would*
but the actual plant will survive.. and should be okay for another flower next year..

But if it gets damaged again, it is hard to recover...

Also, deers will eat them and they are the biggest enemy I guess...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on March 06, 2006 05:32 AM
Oh geesh, it seems everyone has hundreds of these protected Trilliums growing on their property, except ME! [tears] So, I guess I'll just plant two Astilbes and some more Lily-of-the-Valley to fill in some spots. [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Triangle Palm| Next thread: Trilliums »
Back to Thread index