The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Another Deiffenbacca failure . . .

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Carly on May 26, 2005 04:38 AM
Looks like I killed it.

I took it out to the picnic table, about 3 weeks ago, scrunged around its soil, added some, watered it, cut off the top and planted in the bottom.

-

Thanks to Image Shack

-

Jeff thinks it's over-watered - said the soil was pretty wet.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by pcgrav on May 26, 2005 05:15 AM
He may be right. You should let the soil approach dryness but not completely dry before you water again. Be especially sure that it has good drainage because they are susceptible to stem rot and root rot. If you're worried its too wet, take it out of the soil its in and pot it in some new soil.
BTW- you do know that these plants are poisonous don't you??

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by Will Creed on May 27, 2005 03:13 AM
Hi Carly,

Your Dieffenbacia is badly in need of pruning. Cut off the top 6 inches or so and try rooting it in water. Then cut off the rest of the bare stem to a height of about 6 inches above the soil.

New growth will emerge just below where you made the lower cut. If you provide lots of bright indirect light with a few hours of direct sun (right in front of a north or east window), you will soon have a nice compact, but shorter plant that will not need stakes and crutches to hold it up.

Ah, the benefits of pruning!
by Carly on May 27, 2005 04:34 AM
That's how I ruined it - I did take off the top stem and put it beside the plant - that died.

Well, Maybe I should take the rest off and do what you said.

Yes, I do know it's poisonous - that's the trouble with them - you hate to have it in the apartment 'cause of the cat and you can't put them outside - 'cause of the cat (again), other people's cats and other animals.

Last night Jeff put it in the office where it seemed happy for about a month. He went in there this morning and found its leaves had picked up nicely again.

If I take off the top six inches, there will be no leaves at all - it will be just stalk.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: