The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Starting a Terrarium

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Starting a new lawn| Next thread: Starting a terrarium »
Back to Thread index
by aleiodubua on January 17, 2006 01:41 PM
Hello everyone. I'm a newb, and need some help. I read the topic on starting a terrarium, and plan on following everything I've currently read. Questions about the plants that I can have in there though.

The terrarium is a 10g Fish tank, which is getting a glass top to cover it almost completely...Is this ok?

The terrarium is being made solely for a Venus Fly Trap, as that's what my girlfriend has always wanted. Is there any special requirements as far as the substrate is concerned? What other plants could I have with the venus fly trap?

Thanks for all your answers. They're greatly appreciated.
by tkhooper on January 18, 2006 05:32 AM
Companion plants include the Venus Fly Trap, Cobra, Yellow Trumpet, Hooded Pitcher, Sweet Trumpet, Purple Pitcher, Pale Trumpet, and 3 kinds of Sundew plant.

Your creating a bog for these plants right? I've always found keeping them was a little to smelly for me but good luck with them.

-
 -
by margaret e. pell on January 18, 2006 08:03 AM
You don't need a terrerium for fly traps. I've had one for several years on a cold windowsill in winter and outside in the summer. Here's a good site for how to grow them.

http://www.californiacarnivores.com/vft_growing_tips.htm

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Starting a new lawn| Next thread: Starting a terrarium »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: