The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pot size Vs. Plant size

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: pot question| Next thread: potassium deficiency in Tomatoes »
Back to Thread index
by HopelessPlantKiller on August 16, 2004 03:34 AM
I'm wondering if the size of a pot is too large or too small affect the plant growth/health?

I would 'think' that if the pot is too large, it would make the plant work harder to grow 'up' to its expectations. On the other hand, if the pot was too small, it would stunt its growth. It makes sense to me, but is it a true factor?

Is there a rule of thumb as far as fitting your plant to the right pot?

I have a feeling I've been potting my plants in 'too large' of a pot, because I figured why not, i'll have to do it soon anyway. Furthermore, I was told by the 'walmart employee' in the plant dept. to go ahead and use the larger pots, the plants would eventually grow into them. So, I've done that ever since...now I'm wondering if it was a mistake?

I'm killing my plants, my kids are hanging by a thread, and my car is on it's last leg!
by weezie13 on August 16, 2004 05:59 AM
H.P.K.,
Depends on the plants really!!!
Like Jades like to be root bound, so
keeping them in smaller pots are really
much better for them, and if you do repot,
only a tiny bit bigger....

Which plants are you doing???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Newt on August 20, 2004 11:46 AM
Weezie gave you good info. There is a general rule of thumb. The pot should be one third the height of the plant if it's not one that likes to be rootbound. When repotting, use a pot that is 2" larger than the one the plant just came out of unless it's smaller than 8". Then you could go 1" larger. You can look up your plants here.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/houseplants.html

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: pot question| Next thread: potassium deficiency in Tomatoes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: