The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

daffodils not blooming

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: daffodils and hyacinths| Next thread: daffy dillemma »
Back to Thread index
by menderpender on April 07, 2005 12:51 AM
Have had daffodils planted for several years. Early each spring they come up but never bloom. Please help.
by weezie13 on April 07, 2005 12:55 AM
Hello [wayey] Menderpender,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!
We are very glad you found us!

Got a couple of questions for you?

How deep did you plant them???

Sun or Shade???

What kind of dirt did you plant them in???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Meg on April 07, 2005 03:08 AM
Weezie, I need help with this too...

I just planted my bulbs this past fall. Tulips & Daffodils. I used the hollytone in the holes with the bulbs, and I didn't plant them that far down. The green all started up early.. but so far only 3 of the daffodils have bloomed. The tulips are still coming up.. but not very big yet. I just wonder why only 3 of my daffodils have flowered.

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by weezie13 on April 07, 2005 04:35 AM
Meg,
How big were the bulbs???
Sometimes the smaller bulbs won't bloom.. [dunno]
I have to say, "You get what you paid for" sometimes.... cheaper bulbs mean not as guarenteed as the bigger named places that may charge a bit more, but you're pretty much guarenteed a bloom...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some bulbs, depending on the bulb,
with either spend all of their energy getting to the top of the soil and use it up, and not have
any left over to give to producing flowers..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some bulbs can also "pull themselves down deeper"

I know what the theory is for not flowering when they are planted too deep...
But why they "pull themselves deeper???"

[dunno] dunno..

Then you have to dig 'em up and replant...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also, another reason maybe if the plant did flower and then you didn't cut off the flower stem when they were done blooming, they'll then put all the energy to making seeds where the flower was and nothing back in to the bulb for next years flower....

Weezie

P/S I did use that "Spray~n~Grow" that I'

I've told every one about and I have to say, for my bulbs it did a nice job on them.. they are all lookin' great this year, and prolifically bloomed and I have double~fold now this year. The Tulips are
so many, I think I'm going to have to get out there and divid them???

***But a good organic fertilzer should be good for them too, try some Alfalfa Meal or Bone Meal.

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Jiffymouse on April 07, 2005 04:37 AM
meg, it's still early for you. mine are just now totally in bloom with a few starting to die off... give it a couple of weeks or so...
by weezie13 on April 07, 2005 04:43 AM
My miniature daffodils just bloomed today!!! [grin]

But those are on the side of my house, which is
a totally different growing zone than the rest of my yard... [lala]

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Meg on April 07, 2005 05:00 AM
Jiffy, I wasn't too worried about it, as they all sprouted up about different times.. but the ones that bloomed, I could actually see the little bud thing in the green stem. The rest of my daffodils.. I don't see any kind of buds in any of the green. *sigh*

I bought them at walmart, so no, not real expensive.. but they were a decent size. They were probably about the size of hmmm.. a regular yellow onion.. not the large sweet ones, but ya know, a regular yellow cooking onion. Maybe slightly smaller, but really, they didn't seem small to me. But could be, I just don't know what a big bulb should look like..lol.

I think I should be seeing tulips soon.. one in particular is looking close to poking thru the leaves with a stalk soon. [flower]

Also, yea, I didn't get all my bulbs in the ground this past fall, and they've been sitting in my closet, in a bag, in a bag....
Will I still be able to plant these, or are they no good anymore? I did notice some of the bulbs in there, were getting ROOTS. That wasn't there before..lol. [perplexed]

Meg

-
 -

by hisgal2 on April 07, 2005 11:39 PM
quote:
maybe if the plant did flower and then you didn't cut off the flower stem when they were done blooming...
umm....I've never done that with mine before!!! I didn't even know I was supposed to do that!! [dunno] Am I really supposed to go around to all of mine and do that!???

-
 -

-
by weezie13 on April 08, 2005 12:40 AM
Jenn,
Deadheading daffodils, that helps the bulb put all of it's energy back into the bulb for greenery and flower production next year.
If you don't somethings' may happen..

#1. The bulbs put all their energy into making
seeds from the flower being pollenated by the bees.
#2. That process, saps the energy from the bulb,
making it a smaller bulb next year, making it more likely it will only put up greenery.
And no flower...
#3. It is likely, if the bees pollenated them,
that in time, your daff's could reseed themselves, and become other colors down the line.
Not 100% on that one... but I saw one program where the whole hill naturalized itself and there were tons of them a new varieties were found from cross pollenating..

BUT I HAVE ALSO READ...that it's not absolutely mandortory to deadhead them..Some things that I read say that it is ok to leave dead flower heads on daffodils, so I would have to say,
deadheading these is a matter of your own choice.

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on April 08, 2005 12:45 AM
Okay, been doing some more reading,
and alot of them say........
Deadheading Daffodils' *Narcissus*,
is NOT necessary......
[Frown] [dunno] [perplexed] [nutz]

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by obywan59 on April 08, 2005 08:06 AM
Possible reasons for nonblooming daffodils

#1. Cutting the foliage the previous year. Always allow bulb foliage to die back naturally.

#2. Bulbs need dividing. Not likely if they are newly planted bulbs.

#3. Too much shade. They should have at least 6 hours of sun per day. Underneath deciduous trees is fine though as they bloom before the trees leaf out.

#4. Daffodils are in a spot that is too damp.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Meg on April 08, 2005 06:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by obywan59:
Possible reasons for nonblooming daffodils

#1. Cutting the foliage the previous year. Always allow bulb foliage to die back naturally.

#2. Bulbs need dividing. Not likely if they are newly planted bulbs.

#3. Too much shade. They should have at least 6 hours of sun per day. Underneath deciduous trees is fine though as they bloom before the trees leaf out.

#4. Daffodils are in a spot that is too damp.

1 & 2- do not apply, these are new..

3- all sun, all the time.. front of the house, very very sunny.

4- Ummm.. I don't think it's that damp. It's got some mulch over it, but not that much that it's soaking wet there. Of course, I have CLAY (mixed with compost) that is heavy & wet mud anyway. Hmmm.

But everyone else has daffodils around here! I had 3 bloom out of about probably 20 planted. The rest, just have greenery.
[dunno] Meg

-
 -

by obywan59 on April 08, 2005 07:04 PM
Do you fertilize the lawn around the daffodils, or do you have pets that "fertilize" the yard? Too much nitrogen can cause bulbs to produce all foliage and no flowers.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tomatohead on April 09, 2006 12:25 AM
I am having the same problem - I have 50 + daffs planted for 3 years, and during year 1 and 2, all bloomed, this year, all foliage up, but only 4 have bloomed and when inspecting them i see no blooms forthcoming - this has also happened with several tulips too - I am distraught -

I will admit I mowed after all blooming had ceased last year but foliage was green and I didn't wait for daffs to wither up -

if I do right by them this year, might they bloom next year, or have I forever destroyed them? All in full sun - White Flower farm bulbs
by Needlepoint142 on April 09, 2006 01:59 AM
Daffodils are picky. They will not bloom if they get blasted by the cold weather after it has turned warm. They also have to get chilled after the weather turns cooler. It's important not to cut the leaves until after they have turned yellow. Daffodils count heavily on their leaves to grow properly. [Smile]

They loathe and dispise wetness. They can and do rot and get diseased. [devil] [Roll Eyes]

No, I'm not a smart a--. I live in the heart of Daffodil Country here in Virginia. I am friends with Brent Heath, who is known throughout the entire world for daffodils. He and his wife, Becky, have judged shows and written books. Brent has developed several new daffodils. He prefers the miniatures.

How do I feel about daffodils? I am allergic to their pollen.

Best of luck to you. [wavey]

Needlepoint142
by Needlepoint142 on April 09, 2006 02:04 AM
Dear Tomatohead,

You should've waited to mow the leaves. Never ever cut the leaves before they turn yellow.

I live in the heart of Daffodil Country in Virginia. Daffodils grow like crazy here.

Needlepoint142
by weezie13 on April 09, 2006 02:31 AM
Plus some bulbs for some reason,
pull themselves down, more into the ground/dirt/soil... why, who knows..

And when it takes longer to grow up thru all
that dirt, they expend their energy growing up
and not much is left for flowering...

But here's a little thing that can work,
spray them with some kind of foliar feed..
I personally like "Spray~n~Grow", sprayed on
just before flowering time, when they should be producing...
*and if they don't bloom that year with it,
you will have given it extra energy for the following year...
*cause the energy is stored in the bulb from the previous years growth*

Also, a compost tea foliar~spray will work...
And scatch into the area/dirt with some organic fertilizers,
*again, for the following year*

AND DON'T CUT DOWN THE GREENERY!!!! [thumb] [flower] [kissies] [thumb] [flower] [kissies]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by The Plant Doc on April 09, 2006 02:57 AM
Another reason that they may not bloom is that when they 1st come up out of the ground, someone or something may have stepped on them. This can mess up the hormone production which tells the plant to bloom.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by tomatohead on April 12, 2006 07:39 AM
Is it possible that tulips will also not bloom for some of the same reasons as daffodils?
by tomatohead on April 12, 2006 07:40 AM
And thanks for all the great help so far!!!!!
by weezie13 on April 12, 2006 08:49 AM
Could be..

Tomatohead,

Tell us a bit more...
Where do you have them planted???
Kind of soil, sun, how you've watered them,
fertilizers~if any, etc..
Sunny, shadey???
And did you mow down their greenery too??

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tomatohead on April 12, 2006 07:35 PM
Soil is a loose clay mix, direct sun for most of the day with a period of shade, we had a very dry March and so I kept them watered, no fertilizers, yes I mowed them too [tears] - this is their 3d year - 1st year all bloomed, 2d year 1/2 bloomed, this year, 1 bloom....there are about 10 of them in a circle - lots of foliage - also had early rabbit or something activity - used liquid fence, seemed to abate. Thanks.
by weezie13 on April 12, 2006 08:39 PM
And you mowed them each year afterwards??

When you receive a bulb from the store,
it's been treated correctly from the manufacture...
The bulb is planted, allowed to flower...
And the flower head is snipped off, so it does not produce a seed...
*which robs the bulb of it's next years' growth and/or flowering ability*
Also, if you mow or cut down the green growth, that also robs the plant of it's next years growth/flowering ability..

The bulb gets its'next years growth/flowering ability comes from the green growth, as it's allowed to die back, NATURALLY, it's like it's sucking out the food from the greenery, slowly over a period of time... say by mid summer...
and if you cut it off, like it was, then it has to use the "meat" from inside the bulb to put out the next years growth... and if the same thing happens again the next year, cut and no food stores, it has to use what's inside the bulb..
But everytime you use the "meat" from inside the bulb..... the bulb gets smaller and smaller, and no food stores, and it can not make little side bulbs either, cause there's just no "food" for it to do so...

What I would say is...find a product that you can spray on it, like a foliar feed, compost tea is great...
Then work into the soil bone meal, blood meal, alfalfa meal, compost, etc... that will then feed the bulb thru it's growing roots.. then don't cut the greenery, so it can store up it's food...
and maybe in a year or two or three, it'll get back up to snuff...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by dodge on April 13, 2006 08:04 AM
STRANGE STORIES

DAFFYS IN ZONE 5 GROW LIKE GRASS.. AND BLOOM..
THEY DO LOVE SUN......AND SOME VARIETYS ARE LATER THAN OTHERS......THEY TELL YOU NOT TO MOW ANY TILL THEY ARE CLEAR DEAD......
I KEEP TRYING TO KILL THEM AND CANT......

DODGE [Smile] [Smile]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: daffodils and hyacinths| Next thread: daffy dillemma »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: