The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Weeds! (like skyoung's question)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: weeds| Next thread: weeds and wild flowers »
Back to Thread index
by JenT on July 05, 2006 01:32 PM
Hi Everyone-

I need to remulch since I have bought our new home. There is a lot of grassy weeds in the flower beds. I have hand-pulled a bunch. How perfect and weed-free should it be? Can I use a weedkiller instead of doing it by hand? If I use a weedkiller, how long should I wait before laying down mulch?

Thanks!

Jen
by Longy on July 05, 2006 08:59 PM
Just go thru the beds with a hoe or a 3 prong cultivator or similar and damage the weeds by scuffing the soil lightly. Give them a few days of direct sunlight to burn them off and fertilize the beds then mulch over the top.

-
The secret is the soil.
by johnCT on July 06, 2006 03:08 AM
If you're putting a thick layer of mulch on your beds, there's really no reason to worry about the weeds as 95% of them will be smothered by the layer of mulch. Otherwise, a day will be more than sufficient of a wait after applying an herbicide.

John - Zone 6
by JenT on July 06, 2006 09:30 AM
How interesting! Thank you both so much; think I will experiment a bit with both suggestions. Thanks again for your time- you know how frustrating it can be with us newbies. [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: weeds| Next thread: weeds and wild flowers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: