The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rotting Jade Plant.... Please help!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Rotting Aloes| Next thread: Rotting Tomato? (pics) »
Back to Thread index
by Rossco on April 19, 2005 11:33 PM
My Jade plant is about 3 feet tall and looks healthy. I noticed today that it was on a slant. I straightened the stakes its on and where I previously had cut a branch off, a wound appeared. The old part of the branch fell off and a brown, rotten, wet hole is in the base of the trunk. It is soft and so I am sure its rotting. Is there a way I can save the plant or should I just start propagating (cloning) it? Any help would be great.

Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.
- Robert Frost
by Jiffymouse on April 21, 2005 02:26 AM
what i would do is discard the part of the plant below the wound. cut the top of the plant until you reach healthy tissue and root that part.
by Rossco on April 21, 2005 05:36 AM
Tanks very much for the help. Hopefully it will work.

Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.
- Robert Frost
by Longy on April 22, 2005 08:42 AM
It sounds like a fungus has gotten into where you cut the branch. Maybe try cleaning out the wound and applying some fungal powder like bordeaux powder and ensuring good air circulation around the plant. Dunno if it'll work but if the plant's a goner it's worth a try. Clean any tools you use before and after as the fungus could spread onto other plants. Metho is good for this.
by Rossco on April 23, 2005 04:55 AM
I am not sure that cleaning the wound will work. The fungus seems to have spread at least three quarters of the way through the trunk. I am not sure what to do, but soon i will have to decide. Thanks though.

- Robert Frost
by Will Creed on April 25, 2005 03:53 AM
Follow Jiffy's advice and take the cuttings. It is not a fungus problem. It is root rot that has progressed to the stems.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rotting Aloes| Next thread: Rotting Tomato? (pics) »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: