The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Poinsetta... Now or Later?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Poinsetta| Next thread: Poinsettia »
Back to Thread index
by Nako on July 23, 2004 04:27 AM
Hi!
My job just started planting poinsettas a few weeks ago for the holiday season. They have to be cut twice before they're allowed to grow though.

I asked my boss "Can i buy a poinsetta right now? *cox head*" and he goes "Well, right now... I wouldn't recommend it. They're a ***** to take care of right now, and they need to be clipped twice in a specific area before we can allow them to grow nicely. They're too much of a pain in the *** to take care of right now. I don't think you wana be spending 8 hours a day misting a plant every 20 minutes Phoebe *laughs*. If i were you i would wait till November when we have them all clipped in the right places. They'll be a lot easier to take care of after that."

So ya ^.^ I really really really want one now lol. Do you think it would be worth it? They're such a shiny pretty green right now!

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by TomR on July 23, 2004 03:21 PM
Sure, get one now. They are not a pain, I have no idea why he says that. I like them as foliage plants myself.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by Will Creed on July 28, 2004 03:40 AM
The key to getting the colorful bracts on Poinsettias is very careful temperature and light control in the fall for about six weeks. It is unlikely that you will be able to duplicate that kind of control in your home.

I would wait.
by Nako on July 28, 2004 06:39 AM
All the ones in the greenhouses right now are clippings as it turns out o.O They're just kinda stuck in soil, and being watered all day. *shrugs* So i kinda bought a clipping, and its sitting in a rooting container full of water right now [Smile] It seems to be doing pretty well! I mist it every time i see it so it doesn't dry out or anything ^.^ Its so pretty! I don't care if i don't get the bracts. Its pretty [Smile]

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Poinsetta| Next thread: Poinsettia »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: