The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dieffenbachia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Dieffenbachia| Next thread: Dieffenbachia »
Back to Thread index
by lsalmi on July 22, 2004 08:16 PM
HELP!! I have a dieffenbachia that has been in my house for the past year and a half. Up until the past few weeks this plant has been healthy and growing. It is now aprox. 3 1/2 inches tall. A few weeks ago I noticed that the bottom leaves have yellowed and I removed them. Now the new growth has also shown signs of yellowing and has some brown. This is just shoot and I did my best to remove it. The plant has not been moved nor has it's care changed. What could this be. I have put the plant in a shower, washed it with soap and also tried to use a diluted alcohol solution all of which I have used in the past with success. What else should I look for or try. I do not want to give up on this plant as it has done well for the past year and a half....and still has 5 very healthy looking leaves. Thanks for any advice you can give
by lsalmi on July 22, 2004 08:20 PM
I almost forgot to mention that I am not having any trouble with any of my other houseplants.
All are well and healthy with no visable sign of pests or other problem
by TomR on July 23, 2004 03:22 PM
How much water are you giving it? I let mine dry a bit between waterings. How much fertilzer? How much light does it get?

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by lsalmi on August 03, 2004 04:56 PM
As I mentioned the care and spot has not changed since I bought the plant. I have always let it dry out between waterings. Nothing at all has changed with its care. I have also tried removing any damaged leaves Including the new shoot that is coming out brown and dry (the latest new growth. The last time I removed the new shoot it was slimey. Since removing all the browning old growth the rest of the plant is looking good
by Will Creed on August 04, 2004 03:23 AM
Just because you haven't changed anything doesn't guarantee that your plant will be trouble free. Plants that are over or under watered by just a small amount will do fine for a while until finally the roots are damaged to the point where it starts to affect the leaves. The same can happen if the light is a bit too dim.

You didn't provide much information, but I would hazard a guess that roots are starting to rot.

If you can e-mail a photo to me, I might be able to be more definitive.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dieffenbachia| Next thread: Dieffenbachia »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: