The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Can houseplants be planted in an outside garden.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by adagiosk8r on April 17, 2005 09:49 PM
I have some beautiful tropical plants and would love to plant them in my garden, they are getting too big for indoors. I have a large Chinese Palm, Dracaena Marginata,a few Majesty Palms. Can I plant them and will they live and thrive outside.

Please Help...

thanks
by tkhooper on April 17, 2005 09:56 PM
Hi welcome

One of our lovely hostesses will probably be by to move your post to a better location where you will get more answers. I am a beginner gardener and am not familiar with any of your plants. Off of the top of my head I would say that if they are tropical and you are in a desert no they would not survive. But like I say I am not familar with your plants at all. I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum.

-
 -
by loz on April 18, 2005 04:27 PM
Tammy you are right!!! I'm moving this post over to the houseplant section where someone should be able to answer your question.....

Thanks for joining us adagiosk8r!

laura [Smile]
by Jiffymouse on April 21, 2005 02:07 AM
in las vegas, you get snow. and cold. so your plants won't survive totally outside all year unless you make some provisions for them. what i would do is move them outside to a porch or patio that you can create a "green house" around then in the winter. either that, or cut them back (i do that a lot...) i cut my draceana marginatas back about once every 2 years and plant the cutting. sometimes i give the cutting away, and sometimes i just keep it. they will also survive some amount of "root boundedness" and you can also root prune them.

the palms are a different story. i don't know hwat to tell you about them.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: