The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Indoor Terrace Gardens

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Indoor Rose Plant Issue| Next thread: Indoor Tomato Plant »
Back to Thread index
by Merme on April 08, 2005 05:54 AM
Today I found the instructions for two very easy indoor terrace gardens I thought some of us might want to try.

The first is made on a single waterproof tray.

The Knot Garden
Fill the tray with washed, dust proof aquarium gravel for "ground cover" over your planting medium. Then in the center, plant one Echeveria.

Move out a short distance and make a ring of tufts of Reindeer Moss held in place with toothpicks to look like a hedge.

Next, plant four Bishops Cap cacti spaced out around the outside of the moss.

Finally, edge the entire garden with more tufts of Reindeer Moss to highlight the rectangular shape, plus add four shorter lengths between the outer rim and the inner circle.

Place to grow in direct sun and water sparingly. Design is based on the French parterre.

The Lawn Garden

For the second terrace garden you will need five saucers or trays in descending sizes.

Fill a 20 inch with potting medium along the outer edge. Fill the middle portion with thumb size river rocks. Cut Baby's Tears into strips and plant in potting soil.

Place the 16 inch saucer in the middle and repeat the process by lining edge with potting medium to plant the Baby's Tears and the center with river rocks.

Add layers in 14, 12, 10 and 6 inch saucers.

Keep Baby's Tears moist and mow with scissors.

I can't wait to try these! Let me know what you think.

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by tkhooper on April 08, 2005 05:00 PM
Hi Merme,

I can visualize the second one, but not the first so if you do that one do you think you could get a picture for me?

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 10, 2005 01:31 AM
Merme's Terrace Knot Garden
 -
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 01:50 AM
Hey,

That's way cool. I'd like to do something like that. If social security ever refunds me the money they have erroneously been taking out of my check. Maybe I can set some aside for a knot garden. I've always wanted a knot garden. Jiffy how did you get that picture in your post? That's way cool too. How about one with a little tiny round fountain at the top center with four cathedral window shapes for the knot garden? The 2 inner windows taller than the 2 outer windows? You know the arch with a point at the top retangular shape. I'm making a mess out of this description. Anyway thank you again for the plans this is great.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 01:53 AM
I wonder if my spikemoss would put up with pruning?......hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

-
 -
by Merme on April 10, 2005 08:56 PM
Oh, Jiffymouse, THANKS SO MUCH for posting my little drawing!

I appreciate the work you did on it, I really do.

For those who don't know, Jiffy had to take my drawing out of the format I had created it in, and reformat it into another one THEN get it into an image host (whatever that is!, then post it. So it was a multiple step effort and definitely an act of kindness. [thumb]

[kissies]

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by tkhooper on April 11, 2005 04:23 AM
Thank you Jiffy,

The explanation went right over my head but I appreciate your doing it. I just can't get my brain to work sometimes and that drawing made it all clear.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Indoor Rose Plant Issue| Next thread: Indoor Tomato Plant »
Back to Thread index